Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How fortunate I am

Here's what I have on my side as I face this:
  • My health (otherwise) is good; a few aches and pains from arthritis and HMS, but the basic systems (circulatory, respiratory, etc.) are strong. I exercise and eat right.
  • I couldn't ask for a better social support system. Family, friends, the groups I belong to, even the various on-line forums I post on provide me with continuing strength. (I'll write more about this later, because right now it makes me teary.)
  • I have faith in the oncology and surgical departments at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (besides, I checked them out).
  • I have no other major stresses or concerns in my life. I can focus on beating the cancer.
  • I have insurance. We can afford this without worrying about its breaking us financially.
  • I have access to information and the ability to sort through it and understand it. This means I have some informed say in my treatment.
  • My life is full of other interesting things: writing, music, venting about politics, knitting and sewing, yoga and pilates, and more.
  • Generally, I am optimistic, determined, and tough, not to mention being willing to rip things out and keep trying until I get it right.

So there.

5 comments:

Amie said...

So there, indeed!

Hang in there - I'm thinking of you.

Rob K said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling relatively well, all things considered. You're in our thoughts.

jack & steve said...

Jack and I wish you the very best. Jack is 6 months out from his cancer surgery and is doing great. When Jack set up a hospice for his sister (lung cancer) he was given a T-shirt with the following:

What Cancer Cannot Do
Cancer is so limited-

It cannot cripple love,
It cannot shatter hope,
It cannot corrode faith,
It cannot destroy peace,
It cannot kill friendship,
It cannot suppress memories,
It cannot silence courage,
It cannot invade the soul,
It cannot steal eternal life,
It cannot conquer the Spirit.

(Author Unknown)

Arctic-mermaid said...

Lucie,we're all with you. I love the T shirt comments just posted. Wonderful.

Major hugs

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Lucie, Sending loving positive thoughts and wishes your way every day. Being physically strong is a great boost going in to these procedures.