Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The palapa



The one in the picture is a two-story palapa, but we spent most of our time in the single-story ones along the beach. Note the mattress suspended by ropes, so that it swings gently back and forth. From my point of view, a palapa was an ideal way to have the beach experience without sitting in the sun. I'm not a sun person. When I was ten I wrote a poem that started

First you're basted, then you sit
Feeling like a chicken on a spit


And my opinions haven't changed much since then. That explains why I've come back with a bit of color, but no sunburn or tan.
A friend last evening said, "Well, it's just as well you didn't get a burn. I mean, you wouldn't want to get skin cancer." There was an awkward silence and then I finally laughed and said, "Like that's my biggest worry."

3 comments:

jenny said...

i want to lay on one of those mattresses every day for the rest of my life. that looks wonderful

Arctic-mermaid said...

Oh yeah! Breezes caressing you from all sides. And being elevated liek that you can see much further out.
How lovely.

Mean Mama said...

That really does sound idyllic! So very glad to read you had such a super time.