Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Next big trip -- logistics get complicated

I've forgotten to mention our next big trip (i.e. out of New England). This one is a contrast to the Mayan Riviera -- on Saturday we head out to Warroad MN, where Jerry, with me trailing along, will tour the Marvin Windows and Doors Plant (Wood Processing, Double Hung, Casemaster...). We're looking forward to it; it's an all expenses paid to a place neither of us has ever been, and touring manufacturing facilities is always unexpectedly fascinating. We leave Saturday, get back late Tuesday night.
Warroad is about as far north as you can get without running into Canada. I've been googling maps and pictures, but (obviously) will be able to tell you much more when we get back.
Where the logistics get complicated is when you factor in my health. For several weeks I've had low-grade queasiness and pain part of the time; and for two weeks in a row my blood counts have been so low that they gave me only 75% of the usual dose of gemcitabine. Jerry, especially, started worrying. However, yesterday I had my blood tested (it's an off-week for chemo), and the results came out normal (yay!). And I'm feeling normal again, so there is no reason why we shouldn't go.
I have a CAT scan on Thursday. Next Wednesday we have the regular meeting with Dr. Nickerson (oncologist). By then he'll have the results of the scan and the latest CA19-9 tests, and we'll have a better idea of what's going on.
So it will be especially nice to be away from the whole health thing for a few days.
And, while it sounds somewhat obscene, I look forward to becoming an expert on double-hung.

3 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

I would love to become an expert on that too. have a blast Lucie! Steal a few good one for me, windows that is, for my new stone cottage

A-muse said...

Hmmmm. that phrase gets me to reminiscing.

I don;t know what to make of your health report. Sounded very uncomfortable then sounded like good news? Love, A.

Severine said...

What a fun trip! Hope you feel good and have a great time. We're also planning some trips. Disneyland and then France this summer, yeah!!