Thursday, April 15, 2010

Praise and complaint

I feel fortunate to be surrounded by competent people. The latest is the PT, who prodded my shoulder, praised my posture, and gave me generally reasonable recommendations for dealing with my rotator cuff tendonitis -- ice, exercises, and yes, I can continue to play trombone through this as long as I stick to the top three positions, which is going to be interesting.
Even after a day of following her recommendations, I feel better.

Except.

Except for the last suggestion. For most of my life I've been most comfortable sleeping on my right side, shoulder curled forward under me, and because of the super-flexible tendons that got me into this in the first place, that's way forward. And now it's a no-no. I should sleep with my shoulder tucked back, or sleep on my back, or sleep on my other side.

When you've slept with someone for over 40 years, there's a kind of pas de deux that takes place every night. You start spooned one way, then together turn onto the other side, then slide apart and sleep on your backs, then curl up slightly differently, then repeat. The sequence is unvarying and probably delicately timed. Until now, it's only been interrupted when the cat decides to sleep between us, stretched out crosswise.

But last night I either tried to curl my shoulder back (so where does the elbow go?), sleep on my back (and really snore), or try for new positions that wouldn't wake Jerry up (unsuccessfully). It doesn't seem fair that Jerry has to bear the brunt of this as I toss and kick and even try to stretch out crosswise, all without success.

Well, tonight is another night. Meanwhile, even the problems sleeping haven't stopped my jubilation at the visit to the PT. She said that as long as I worked at this she couldn't see any reason the rotator cuff problem shouldn't be fixed. It's such a joy to hear that something physical I have can actually be fixed.

3 comments:

Katie :o) said...

Time for a trigger trombone :o) Then you'll only be missing positions 4 & 5 :o)))) Glad the PT appointment was such good news!

grandma B said...

Oh Lucie, I feel your pain! I have been told by my physical therapy people that rotator cuff problems are very similar in aggravation to my broken arm.
Sleeping for the first month was a nightmare for all the reasons you described so beautifully. Take heart I can now sleep on my one side and back. Oh happy day! I am excited for the day when I can turn over on the other side....someday.....after a few more excercises!!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, dear. Rotator cuff injuries are SO annoying. But it does pass, with the help of your PT. Aren't they wonderful?