Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Another day of full-body macrame


This is Jerry, trying to sort the two chemo tubes plus the wires for my non-battery laptop. Things got even more confusing after he'd left, when I had to go to the bathroom and deal with those plus the two wires attaching the IV pole to the wall. I spent more time untangling than I did peeing.

But (yay!) the new anti-nausea med seems to have worked much better than the old one did, and I feel good today. It also helped that I think I've at least partly solved the sore shoulders problem by sleeping on two pillows, one the temper-pedic and the top one nice and fluffy so I don't feel as though I'm on a sandbag.

The one new and interesting side effect is the feeling I get when any part of my body touches something cold, and I mean less than room temp. I've always had a minor form of synesthesia, a condition where people hear music as color or taste foods as sound. Mine is to experience pain as color + shape and texture, so that a toothache, for example, is always a purplish-red neon tube. Well, now when I touch something cold, I perceive something like the male side of a velcro strip, in silver. It also hurts, and I've had to put winter gloves next to the refrigerator so that I can take the milk out without flashes of silver. It's more annoying (and very interesting) than really painful, but I'm afraid that I won't get many swims in Stone Pond this summer. I usually don't make it in until August, anyway.

1 comment: