Monday, May 4, 2009

More about the book

When people who don't know my situation ask what I do now that I'm retired, I'm not quite sure what to say. Frankly, staying healthy takes up a lot of my time, but if I say, "Well, I work out three times a week, and walk as much as I can, and have a yoga class," it sounds as though I'm a fitness fanatic. An unsuccessful one. No abs of steel here.

If I say that I'm writing a book, the next question is "What's it about?" and if I say, "It's a memoir of my first year of pancreatic cancer," I can just imagine the reactions, but I never say that because I don't want to go into the whole thing with people who are just acquaintances.

However, I thought I'd bring you up to date about the book. It will consist of a series of short pieces, many taken from this blog and expanded. Some will be about what I've been through, others semi-technical explanations of parts of treatment, others suggestions for caregivers and concerned friends and relatives. I have six finished. The titles are Cancer for Dummies, Hair Today, Port Authority, Prayer, Weighty Matters, and What to Say. Several more are in various stages of working and reworking: Scansion, Prologue, Zapped, Diagnosis and Testing, Community Happens, The People You Meet, The Stages.

I've had suggestions that pieces on how to stay optimistic and how one deals with a suddenly foreshortened future could be interesting/useful.

Any other suggestions?

Meanwhile, when people ask me what I'm doing these days, I usually tell them I'm knitting (in progress right now, two chemo caps not for me but for charity, and a summer sweater out of a bamboo/silk/cotton blend, definitely for me).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That all sounds good, especially dealing with a foreshortened future. How about bucket lists? Things to do when your energy level is low, but your brain works fine?

JESM said...

1) What to say to children, 2)How to help people you leave behind and 3) What matters now
I'm glad I found your site. My husband has had CLL since 2004 but we are doing great. Your family means alot to me - Max and Cinda were a huge part of my childhood. Thanks for being so kind to Mollie and Harold. Your blog is wonderful. Love, Jamie, your old babysitter in Utah

Lucie said...

Good ideas, both J's. I'll work on them. Jamie, it's wonderful to hear from you;I was thinking of you just the other day, believe it or not. email me? friend me on facebook? I'd love to know how your life is going.

Arctic-mermaid said...

What about covering how you relate to your blog?

Russ Germer said...

Lucie, here is my suggestion for a title for your book:

Green Bananas - Coping with the Giant