Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Woody Allen made me think

Yesterday I heard Woody Allen say in an interview on NPR, "First of all, life is short. And it's dull."
Allen is 74 years old. He's already had nine years more than I've had. He can probably expect at least nine more than that.
If those eighteen years are so all-fired dull, I'd be willing to take them off his hands, just out of the kindness of my heart you understand. I'm sure I could find a few things to do with them.




I took this picture this morning on my walk. It's Arthur, a neighbor who happens to be around Woody Allen's age or a bit older, busy trying to destroy the beaver dam on the pond. Every night the beaver builds up the dam, and every morning Arthur mucks it out. They both have the attitude of "well, somebody's got to do it."

Maybe neither of them is doing Great Creative Work, and certainly neither of them is getting much fame or fortune for it. But neither of them is sitting around complaining that life is dull.

4 comments:

Uncle Jerry said...

Woody Allen seemed consumed with his mortality. He once quipped, "I don't want to be immortalized through my work, I want to be immortalized through not dying." I guess he's willing to stick around, dullness and all.

Blue Spruce said...

Your photo is an excellent example of someone just mucking around.
In the world of comedy, dullness is an intentionally funny shtick.
I sometimes wonder at people who claim to be bored, because I don't find peace and quiet to be boring at all. The only thing that I find boring is waiting on lines or in traffic jams.

Anonymous said...

I just came across your site and wanted to thank-you for posting these blogs. My grandmother 69 years old--she was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Dec. 2008. I'm sending the link to my aunt to show her. She lives in a small town (Punxsutawny, PA) and doesn't have any kind of support group (meaning other cancer patients--only her family and a few close friends). Reading your blog, I think she'll definitely appreciate your posts :)

Lucie said...

Your grandmother is not alone -- she should get in touch with the PANCREAS-ONC list through PanCan, which is a wonderful resource, and with the Johns Hopkins Pancreatic Cancer Online Discussion Board. There she will find both emotional support and good ideas for dealing with the cancer and treatment. If she posts to this blog, perhaps we can get in touch with each other.