Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Half-anniversary

Eighteen months since diagnosis, hangin' in there. To celebrate each six months I take little jars of jam in to the oncologist, nurses and staff at the cancer center to thank them for their part in keeping me going so smoothly. Virtual jars of jam to all of you, as well, for your support.

Today is "chemofunk" day, during which I feel as though I might be coming down with the flu. It's turning out to be very predictable: the evening of the day I have chemo, almost precisely at 8:30, I suddenly fade, begin to have head- and body-aches and exhaustion. The next day the aches and pains continue, along with exhaustion that can be enough to leave me just lying on the couch doing nothing. And by evening, I'm fine.

People have asked me about nausea. Very little, and no vomiting, nothing like all those scare stories out of the 70's and 80's. However, it seems that I'm going to have to give up french fries, for a while at least. They don't set so well.

On the other hand, isn't it great to live in a world in which coffee, tea, red wine, chocolate, garlic, fresh fruits and vegetables, and candied ginger are all considered healthy! I had dinner with a chiropractor the other evening who tried to persuade me that none of the above except garlic, fruits and vegetables are actually good for you. He said that all the testing on the rest was done by the big corporations, and therefore couldn't be trusted. He sounded like a spoilsport to me. To his wife, too. She took some ham.

I wish you all a happy, healthy next eighteen months.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fellow PANCAN Survivor! Today is my 8th year anniversary of the whipple surgery. There is hope! Continue on your journey. God is merciful....I remember my chemo days...I threw up all the time. I am glad you are not!
love, Lynn
plynn52@aol.com

Lucie said...

Thank you Lynn -- And congratulations! I love to hear such inspiring survival stories. May you enjoy many, many more healthy years.

jenny said...

i wish you the same lucie! i am so glad you are doing well.

Severine said...

Happy and healthy next 18 months (and years) to you too Lucie. We're all going to France on Oct 3, it'll make an interesting flight w/ all the kids. We need prayers lol.