Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bumps in the path

As you've no doubt gathered, for the past couple of weeks I haven't been at my best. I had to miss a session of chemo, and this time when I went in I brought several new and continuing symptoms. My blood counts were good enough for me to have the treatment, so while I was in getting the chemo they set up a CAT scan for me, also yesterday. It made for a long day, but it was good to get it done. Dr. Nickerson called later to say that the protrusion on my abdomen was probably not due to fluid build-up, the new tumor, or the hernia, but was localized in the stomach. Apparently nothing is getting through. He's setting up an appointment with a surgeon to see if they can put an NG tube down my throat to relieve the stomach, or possibly some sort of permanent opening into the stomach to relieve it as necessary. I'll keep you posted.
Came home and threw up five times last night, which when you consider that I was on two different kinds of anti-nausea meds must be some kind of record.


Meanwhile, I feel these days as though the characteristics that make up my personality, my self, are being stripped away as you'd peel an onion. Each layer that goes is a basic, though maybe not crucial, part of me.

There are the little things: coffee, red wine, chocolate. When I lost coffee, I lost a focus for thinking, and a special link to sociability. Red wine gave me those as well. For years Jerry and I have had a tradition of a piece of dark chocolate and some more wine at the end of dinner. That tradition is gone.
Each of these small tastes opened me up to years of memories which seem faded now.

I don't enjoy food. I don't want to cook, don't like the smell of food cooking, don't want to eat what's on my plate, feel immediately bloated. Is this what teenaged girls feel when they have anorexia?

I have lost hatha yoga. There are too many poses I cannot reach or hold. I have lost pranayama -- whatever is pressing on my abdomen makes deep breaths painful. Yes, I can still meditate, but the fatigue tends to take over and I fall asleep.

The latest to go, I think, is playing the trombone. Not only do fatigue and deep breaths get in the way, but the pressure on the abdomen makes me throw up. We played a concert down the hill here in Marlborough last week, and mid-way through I barely made it to the restroom.

I feel as though along with these tastes and activities, I am losing my zest and my appetites for all of the things I used to love. I don't even read as much as I used to. I feel as though I'm becoming ... boring.

6 comments:

Katie :o) said...

Oh, Lucie! I hope the doctors can get that pressure off your stomach. And you could *never* be boring. By the way, once a trombone player, always a trombone player. We claim you FOREVER :o) Great big hugs e-mailed your way!!!

Blue Spruce said...

Hoping as I do that the able physicians will be able to help you with your stomach problem, I decided I would help you pass the time until then with a few famous words of sage wisdom (?) about the stomach.
"An army marches on its stomach" (Napoleon)
"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach" (Sara Parton)
"Stomach, render up thy trust!"
(Alexander Pope)
"A great step towards independence is a good humored stomach" (Seneca)
"Those who have the best stomachs are not the best thinkers" (Voltaire)

Cristina Alvarez said...

Boring? It is not possible. I read your blog almost everyday and, If when I first met you I thought you were incredible, now I KNOW you are. By the way... would you like some Rioja Red Wine from Spain?

Anonymous said...

Lucie, I just read your last blog. If only empathy could be healing, you would be driving to the store right now for wine, coffee and chocolate.

This problem with your stomach is just about the unkindest cut. Can I write the F word on a blog?

Unknown said...

Can I add another f-word? Really, if good wishes from your friends and family could give you relief, you'd be better in an instant.
However, it's not wine or chocolate or coffee that make the essential you. It's your wit and intelligence and empathy and that smile that are so memorable--hang in there--

Margaret said...

Let's hope that the medical experts can easily "fix" your stomach problem so you can go back to enjoying food and cooking again.

Previous commentators have already expressed my own feelings, especially Jan (and Voltaire)...soooo I won't add any repetitions except this one: hang in there!