Thursday, August 19, 2010

Sad news

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such sad news, but with a heavy heart I report that Lucie passed away peacefully in her sleep last night. Her family was around, talking, eating, laughing and looking at pictures, and I think it was a warm and comforting setting in which to let go. Thanks to friends, family and "virtual" friends who have all shared in and been part of her story.
I am including her obituary, although it's impossible to sum up such an amazingly beautiful life in a few paragraphs.

The Keene Sentinel
August 19, 2010
Lucie C. Germer

Lucie Clare Germer, 67, of 112 Pleasant Street, Marlborough, died at her home from pancreatic cancer, August 18, surrounded by her beloved family.
She was born in Arlington, Mass., May 21, 1943, daughter of Laurence L. and Lucia F. Barber. She spent her youth in Brazil, Turkey and Libya, following the moves of her father, a public administration consultant for the United Nations. She attended high school in Libya, and went on to obtain her BA at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. She returned to the U.S. to obtain her MA at UCLA.
While working as an English Language instructor for U.S.A.I.D. in Somalia, in 1967, she met her husband, Jerry, who was training Peace Corps volunteers there. They were married in Mogadishu in September, 1967.
She returned to the U.S.A in November of that year to Salt Lake City, Utah, where she taught English to non-native speakers, as well as courses at the University of Utah.
After her husband, Jerry, obtained his architecture degree, the couple moved to Monrovia, Liberia, where he worked for an international architecture firm and she taught English at the University of Liberia. Their first child, Max, was born in Liberia.
The couple later returned to Salt Lake City, where their second child, Lucinda was born and Lucie began studies leading to a Ph.D in Anthropology from the University of Utah. The Germer family spent 1983 in Costa Rica, where Jerry pursued research in climate-responsive design and Lucie completed the draft of her doctoral dissertation.
The family returned to the U.S.A., where they made their home in Marlborough, NH, where Lucie taught English as a Second Language in schools in the Keene School District until her retirement in 2004. She took up trombone during this period and enjoyed playing it in the Westmoreland Town Band for 18 years. As a result of her enthusiasm playing with the band, she co-wrote a book with Jerry to encourage other adults to get involved in music making. She also wrote two published books dealing with English as a Second Language.
Lucie is survived by her husband, Jerry, a son, Max and his wife, Anya, and their son, Miles, of Florence, MA, a daughter, Lucinda and her husband Rob, of Seattle, WA, and a brother, Luther Barber and his wife, Miriam, of Needham, MA. .
Lucie wanted to be remembered by the words of Edith Piaf, Non, je ne regretted rien (no, I regret nothing). A memorial service in the manner of a Quaker meeting will be held at 3:00pm on Wednesday, August 25 at the Marlborough Community Center, Main St., Marlborough, NH. A second service will be held for the family’s many relatives and friends in Utah at a later date.
The family requests that, in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, www.pancan.org.

15 comments:

Lana said...

I stumbled across this site a few days ago and I have been going through the posts from these past years. I thank her and her family for sharing her experiences and this journey with everyone. From the entries, it is clear that she loved life and the people who were in it. She also had such a great sense of humor that made me chuckle as I read the posts. From her obit, it seems that she has seen so much and been to so many places. I can say that she definitely beat the statistics, but she wasn't a statistic. I am very sorry for your loss. During this difficult time, may you be surrounded by the love and support that brings people together.
My deepest condolences,
Lana Lee
New Jersey

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad that Lucie had her family there with her, and I will miss reading her posts.

Katie :o) said...

I miss her terribly. Love to you all, Jerry, Cinda, Max and families.

Mean Mama said...

Lucinda, thank you for taking time in your grief to let us know that Lucie has passed away . . . my heart is broken. I will miss her! love to your wonderful family--

Pegi Frostholm said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. Many hearts are heavy today. Thank you, Cinda, for keeping her virtual family up to date in a difficult time. I will hold all of you in my prayers.

Unknown said...

I will miss Lucie so much, even though I never actually met her. She was an inspiration.

celebration 820 said...

Thank you for letting us know. Lucie made such a big difference to me during my mother's illness--she gave me hope, encouragement and some much needed humor. I will be forever grateful to Lucie for that. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Nancy

Wessenden Woollies said...

I am so sorry to hear the sad news. Lucie was very comforting when I lost my mum to pancreatic cancer, despite going through it herself. I will miss reading her lovely humerous posts. She obviously loved life and having her family around her. She lived it to the full.

My deepest condolences,

Sarah (ravelry)

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear the sad news of Lucie's passing. My thoughts are with you and the rest of her family. She was a lovely lady.

Emma (Ravelry)

Donna in VA said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Lucie was a vital, wonderful member of the Knitter's review Forum and I will miss her.

Anonymous said...

My heart fell when I read that Lucie had passed on. I have so enjoyed messaging her on Ravelry. When I decided to hold a fundraiser for PanCan, Lucie was one of the first to send me handmade items for the auction. It was fascinating to read about her life. She was truly a talented, generous spirit. My best wishes and condolences go out to the family. Pam (RishBish)

Anonymous said...

What a loss for the world at large. Peace be with you during this difficult time and always. Though I have never met any of you in person, I do hold you all in my heart. What a big life Lucie had, a full and wonderful one. I can only hope those of us still in this life will be half as blessed with smiles and laughter.

Elizabeth in Virginia

Anonymous said...

I only 'knew' Lucie through spending time here but am grateful for that. I am so very sorry for your loss.

This came to mind..
'You are always in our hearts and the sparkling of our eyes.'

Anonymous said...

I meet Lucie at Kingsbury Cancer Center as I was being treated for Breast Cancer - she faced this disease with dignity and humor. She touched the lives of many. My sympathies go out to her family and friends in this time of loss. Lucie will be missed.

Snag Breac said...

What a beautiful gift she left - such gorgeous writing. Many kind thoughts with you all.