Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Best laid plans

We got in to the oncologist's yesterday afternoon, toys in hand, all prepared to spend the afternoon, only to be told that my wbc is so low that they weren't willing to give me the chemo treatment. Don't worry: it isn't really low, just below what the protocol insists on. After a bit of negotiation, we agreed that I'd come back in on Friday, when I have my meeting with the radiology people, get the blood work redone, and (we hope) do that final big chemo. (They wanted to wait until next Monday.)
It's upsetting. Despite a pleasant afternoon getting the back porch cleaned up so that we can use it and then a spontaneous beer-butt chicken barbecue with friends, I found myself having a mini-meltdown last night. I think it was triggered by the reminder that I'm not really in control. I can't even make my white blood cells do what I want.

2 comments:

Russ Germer said...

Lucie, you are doing fantastic! Keep fighting and it's a good thing that what's his name is there. Just kidding Jerry. Russ

Arctic-mermaid said...

I can only try to imagine what that feels like. you get prepared, mentally, physically; get all psyched up and then the procedure has to be postponed. yeah. Understandable that it throws you for a loop. Well,,,, you're allowed.

What russ said, keep fighting the fight! love and hugs