Wednesday, December 24, 2008

December 23

Kris, the very competent and funny nurse, sat down last evening to give me a kind of reality check. She pointed out that abdominal surgery always dirty, with the possibility that pathogens can escape into the abdominal cavity, thus the heavy doses of antibiotics they have me on.

So far, no infections. I had my last chemo session on the 15th, the afternoon before the ulcer in my duodenum blew through. Yesterday, a week later, was my week off from chemo. I've had such an easy time tolerating the Gemcidobin that I've never had a problem with the nadir--the time at which the white blood cells are lowest in the treatment cycle and one's resistance to infection is greatest. Every drug has its own nadir. My latest one runs from around yesterday through the coming Sunday, with the lowest point sometime mid-week.

During this time, I have to be extra careful for any signs of infection around the incision, such as a fever or any other abnormalities.

This advice was of course discouraging. I wanted something like "You'll be home for Christmas," or at least, "Every day in every way you are getting better and better." But, sigh, sigh, I'll deal with it somehow.

4 comments:

Lucinda Kruy said...

It's her responsiblity to give you that information, but I'm sure you are healing and getting better, even if it's not as fast as you would like. The fact that you have always been an incredible healer plus the fact that you've been doing so incredibly well with the chemo drugs will help you get over this... it's just taking some time.

Blue Spruce said...

Lucie, I am very glad that you are recovering okay from your abominable surgery. If you go on the internet today and open Google, they have a horrible picture there of Gipetto and Pinnochio in the workshop where all of Gipetto's creations are being attacked by alien death rays! Fortunately, you are safe in the hospital from all such alien attacks, but if the crisis continues, I'll keep you informed.

A-muse said...

Well, Lucie, I had to read and re-read the explanation in order to understand it.(Speaking as a member of your writers' group, that is. You said that the nadir was when the while blood cells are lowest but your resistance to infection is highest. But I think you meant the lowest. I didn't
know that you had to be on all of those antibiotics. And taking the nadir into consideration, you have no choice but to lie (lay?) low. But you must be going stir crazy right about now.

Unknown said...

Hi, Lucie, and I'm glad to see you are hanging in there. I do hope you get home soon. I spent the day with Lowell and Jean, Bob Morse (when we were on their marriage committee, didn't we worry how long that marriage would last? It's now been 29 years, i think.), Nina and Jack and Elana, my mother, and had a fine time just before a new blizard came in. Your Christmas letter just arrived, and i've been reading all your postings in sequence. What a marvelous collection of good sense, humor, and honesty! Do know that your friends here are cheering you on. Love, Jan