Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old dogs, new tricks department

When people ask what I do all day, I'm embarrassed to admit that I spend a lot of time with electronic stuff. Most of it is the various learning curves.

I got a Kindle for Christmas and an iphone for my birthday, and while both are supposed to be intuitive, neither exactly fits my kind of intuition, though I love playing with both. I now have something like 34 books on my active Kindle list and about 40 more in the back-up, otherwise known as "it would have to be a very small desert island for me to be desperate enough to read these."
You can get some really good free stuff for the kindle. And some real crap.

Then there's the iphone. I knew I was hooked yesterday when I was stuck waiting in the bank without my knitting and ended up playing Scrabble. The only other person waiting was in her early 20's, and she, too, was twiddling her thumbs over a small rectangular piece of equipment. I felt so part of the modern world.

Meanwhile, Jerry, driven mad by the three straight weeks of rainy weather which have dispirited the garden and made it impossible for him to do the painting jobs he'd planned on the house, suddenly joined Facebook. It's turned him into a seven-year-old. Wistfully, "Do you think anyone will want to be my friend?" or "Do you realize that I have a lot of friends, and they're all under 40?" or "Will I hurt so-and-so's feelings if I don't want to be his friend?" and now, "You know, some people post very inane messages."

So, to make him happy, become his friend and send him something philosophical.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you know that you can get something for the iphone that can identify ANY piece of music and name the artist with as little as 4 seconds played somewhere near its microphone? Amazing!