Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The good thing about electronics is that we won't waste so much paper


That's three inches of paperwork, plus the disk that has my latest CAT scan on it. Dartmouth-Hitchcock has (presumably) sent all of this on to Dana Farber, but they suggested that I take copies along. I hope that the doctor there gets them and has a chance to read them before we arrive, because it's taken me an hour and I'm only about half way through.

Reading my own medical records is the kind of fascinating/boring experience I haven't had since grad school, when I went through obscure articles in learned journals hoping to find that one bit of esoterica which would make my paper look meaningful.

I find that I am a pleasant 65- or 66-year-old female, alert and cooperative, apparently capable of understanding what the doctors say ("pt was advised of and understood risks of the procedure"). Everything is tracked and recorded: my blood pressure, blood counts, subjective pain, weight (ha! I caught them. One week it was suddenly 148), and of course, the frequency, doses, and reactions to the chemo. I am impressed. Dartmouth-Hitchcock does not lose track.

D-H also uses electronic record-keeping, so they made two copies of the whole thing on paper to get to Dana Farber. Plus of course the disk. I wonder, do I play that on the computer or the DVD player? I'd hate to use the wrong one and maybe erase the whole thing, but I would like to show off to Jerry what my insides really look like. I peeked during the CAT scan, so I can at least find the spine and the lump. That one's easy, because it has the needle sticking out of it.

I read on the pancreatic cancer forums about others dealing with this who also deal with incompetent, rude, and lazy hospitals and staff. I am thankful for the wonderful people at D-H, large amounts of paper and all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pleasant?!!! What a bland word for such a witty and thoughtful woman!! Well, if they are really nice to you, that's a plus.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucie and Jerry!
I miss you and am thinking of you EVERY DAY! Down here in Florida, but ya know--someone has to visit here! Im' thinking of your visit to Dana Farber as a really good chapter in your book, I love you both, A-muse