Thursday, July 3, 2008

Back in Action

It's good to be back, and thanks to both Jerry for keeping everyone posted on what was going on and to you for good wishes and thoughts.

It's been two and a half days of disconnect. I've slept at odd hours and not been able to sleep at other odd hours. I've had all those clear liquids (plus the saline IV) which meant a lot of getting up to pee, which meant unplugging the IV and schlepping it across the room into the bathroom and back. By the time I got back, all the lines and wires had twisted themselves into an intricate lace pattern; lucky I'm a knitter, because I was able to frog it all back to where it belonged.

Part of the disconnect is that no one could be nicer than hospital personnel, but they're working in a hospital. I met so many helpful, caring, patient, friendly people, though they had a tendency to go off duty just when I was getting to know them, to be replaced by other equally wonderful people.

But a hospital itself reminds me of nothing so much as a nineteenth-century New England millworks just before the assembly line and efficiency took over. You wait, no one is quite sure why, and then, eventually there is a kaKLUNK and something happens. Then it's all repeated.

Sometimes it works in your favor. They were concerned enough about my insides to move the ERCP (=Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, whatever that means) forward two days. I was told it would be on Tuesday at noon, but they came for me at 7:15, fitting me in ahead of everyone else instead of after. As Jerry said in the last post, the procedure went smoothly and they put in a new stent. The doctor explained that stents are usually good for three months, so I got a month and a half extra out of the last one. If I have the Whipple I won't get another stent (no place to put it), but if the Whipple isn't possible I'll need the stent replaced in three months.

Afterwards I had a bizarre experience. Apparently Jerry came in to visit and stayed for about an hour and we had a good chat. I can't remember anything of it. He says I was just as coherent as usual, which is scary. At least I guess I didn't tell him about all those cute cabana boys I have on the side.

I also had a nice chat with a doctor, and when she came in yesterday to follow up I didn't feel right about telling her I couldn't even remember her face. It seems that I expressed concern to her about diet, because yesterday she kept recommending that I drink Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast between meals to increase my protein consumption.

Getting out of the hospital was a kaKLUNK. At 8:15 they said I could leave as soon as the paperwork etc. was done, but it took another three hours. On the way home yesterday we bought some of the healthy drink stuff, and let me tell you, pig slop doesn't even come close to describing it.

A request to all -- please, please send me or post your favorite high-protein smoothie drink recipes. The only way that the stuff I bought could be made palateable is by adding equal parts of amaretto, and I don't think that's what the doctor had in mind.

2 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Hi Lucie!
Fabulous to have you up and atom again and in good humour. [big big smiles]

Sounds like it all went without complications, so BRAVO! What next? Recuperation time, eh?

As for a smoothie. Mmmm. I like to use a base of banana, plain yogurt with honey for a sweetener. And then add whatever fruit is wonderful today. You can even add a littel fibre to it like flax seed or bran.

Interesting about the hour long conversation you can't remember. Is there such a thing as "sleep-talking". I imagine a person could babble on for an hour while asleep, but to listen and reply correctly??????????????????????? Good drugs.

Lin said...

Glad you're back in action, Lucie. Jerry did a great job while you were otherwise occupied.

I make a chocolate protein drink that is supposed to be great for building muscle. The secret is whey protein, which is highly digestible. I use a brand called Jarrow, which is available at VitaSource. It comes in different flavors, but of course I always buy chocolate. Comes with a scoop, but you may want to start with less than a full scoop and increase gradually -- to avoid, ummm, flatulence. I make a shake using one scoop of whey protein in about 8 oz of skim milk and also add half a container of Stonyfield Farms Chocolate Underground yogurt.

A scoop of whey protein is about 18 grams of protein, plus what you're getting from the skim milk and the yogurt, so this is a real muscle-builder. I recommend Jarrow because it has no artificial ingredients. Susan at VitaSource or someone at Blueberry Fields may be able to recommend other brands as well, but I'd avoid the cheaper ones at WalMart and supermarkets, as many contain artificial sweeteners, etc.