Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In training

Now that I've recovered from last week and feel good again, I've decided to treat the next three and a half weeks as though I'm in training for my own mini-Olympics. The surgeon said that the best thing I could do was to get in as good shape physically as possible. Even without the major surgery, just lying in bed wastes muscle mass and makes recovery harder.
Therefore, besides the extra protein, I've committed to doing at least some exercise every day, which is a lot easier to do now that I'm not having any treatments. I started yesterday by going to the Y to swim. Fifteen minutes of laps and I was worn out -- I was doing half an hour easily back when I was swimming regularly. I plan to alternate swimming with weights every other day.
I'm also doing a bit of a walk with Jerry in the mornings, though I still need to get my brace adjusted so it doesn't hurt with every step. For years, walking was my exercise of choice, so it would be wonderful to be able to do it again.
And every evening (okay, two evenings so far) I'm doing a yoga/pilates combination for about fifteen-twenty minutes.
Today I'm going to add a few minutes of pranayama (yoga breathing) every day so that my lungs will deal with the anaesthesia better.
Doesn't this sound dedicated? The only reason I'm writing it down is because now I won't be able to skip a day or two when I get lazy or bored, because... you know about it. You'll keep me honest in spite of myself!

2 comments:

jenny said...

wow. if you can keep that up you are my hero! i'm sure you taking care of yourself has gotten you this far so it sounds like a great idea to continue that path. i am glad to hear about the surgery, it sounds like a positive thing that they have decided to operate. we will keep you in our prayers. love you.

Lucinda Kruy said...

If you're doing all that then the rest of us certainly have no excuse! You are an inspiration.