Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

When I was in the hospital and they finally let me eat jello, I was amazed at the subtleties in flavor and texture in what I'd always thought was the blandest of foods. But, oh, the delicate shadings as the sun shone through the jello, the wonderful feeling of the slippery spoonful sliding down my throat.
I quickly went far beyond that, back to my normal sneering at America's Comfort Food. It just goes to show you how people are never satisfied, because less than a week after jello was the high point of cuisine, I was complaining about the Trailer Trash Diet and already starting to cheat on it. Though I preferred to call it Cautious Creative Experimentation.
I think garlic was the first I tried. How can garlic be bad for you? It's right up there with yogurt as the ultimate health food. In fact, a nurse told me that her Italian mother had always said that garlic is not only good for physical health but also calms the nerves. It calmed mine and didn't seem to hurt me physically, either.
Next came the brownies that a friend sent. What could be wrong with brownies? Except for the nuts, which were a definite no-no. But my stomach said yes-yes.
Last night I reached the pinnacle of good health: I ate an entire meal without worrying about The Diet. We had pasta with veggies and mint pesto, which reminded me of summer, and Jerry made a salad with avocado, oranges, and onions. Delicious.
Food is good. Life is good.

4 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Hi Lucie;
You're right. Life is good. Enjoy. hey, and what time is supper by the way????

Heather said...

Lucie,

I finally got caught up on your blog. I'm so glad you're out of the hospital. What a Christmas for you! I'm glad you're able to eat some better foods, too. Please keep healing, keep up your sense of humor, and keep up the blog posts, which I love reading.

We're looking forward to the Inauguration on Tuesday. May this be the beginning of many wonderful changes. We plan to walk downtown (5 miles or so) to see what we can see...

Thinking of you and holding you in the light,
Heather

jenny said...

the dinner sounds fantastic. i prefer that kind of food any day.

Unknown said...

When my mom moved here in 2001, we first told her she didn't need to bring anything for our occasional potlucks. She felt left out and unneeded. So she began bringing jello, with canned fruit and Cool Whip(!) And, you know what? We all remembered that we like this stuff!