Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Knitting Interlude -- Finishing the Endless Sweater




The Endless Sweater started as Cinda's project -- a beautiful wrap sweater with a long sash tie, which she made in an alpaca-silk blend. She worked forever (knit, frog [=rip it, rip it, rip it], knit again) to make the cables and lace come out. (Her picture to the left.)When she got it done and blocked, it didn't fit. Much too small.

Since I'm (ahem) less busty than she is, she sent it to me, but when I tried it, it turned out too small for me, too. I tried creating a wide collar that was going to wrap over the bits of me that hung out, but I couldn't manage it.

So I frogged the whole thing. I think she was crying on the phone when I told her about it. I tried the same pattern. Didn't work.

I tried a different pattern from the same book, and after two tries managed something like the new pattern. But it took forever. Today it is officially done, and I'm happy with it, though I would have preferred the wrap. The color is still gorgeous, and the yarn, while there isn't an inch of it that hasn't been knit at least three times, is still wonderfully soft.
But I think the whole thing is more a tribute to stubbornness than anything else.



1 comment:

Lucinda Kruy said...

The never-ending sweater came out really nice! I think there's something to the well-worked yarn concept. Perhaps we could open a specialty yarn store that features yarn that we've worked over and over to give it that super soft fuzzy feel. Then we could charge exorbitant prices for it and get rich. Oh, and the lace is on its way! (Happy Birthday!)