Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I've got a date!

Quite a few years back, that title would have had a different context, but I'm happy with this one.
Saw the oncologist yesterday, and what he basically said was that I have sailed through the chemo/radiation, though what he actually said was that I had "handled it in an exemplary manner." He would have expected much worse side effects than what I described.
Jerry started pushing him on what happens next. The doctor dashed his hopes that all of this would have shrunk the cancer down to nothing so that surgery wouldn't be needed. In any case he pointed out that they'd want to operate to make sure they've gotten everything. On the other hand, my lack of further pain or other major problems suggests that at least the tumor hasn't grown. This isn't as pale a statement as it sounds, because pancreatic cancer is so aggressive that it can outrun the therapies.
In any case, we decided to look ahead, and I now have an appointment at D-H Lebanon for a CT scan followed by a consult with the surgeon on July 7, about two weeks after I finish this therapy.
Which means that maybe an operation will really be possible. I've tried to look ahead without extreme hope or fear. But since I saw the doctor, the hope has been winning.

6 comments:

Lucinda Kruy said...

Yay! Although surgery is no fun, I think it's incredibly encouraging that they are at least talking about it because it means they believe they can get every last little bit of it out. And the one thing I've learned through all this is that it is always better to choose hope over fear. I think this is really good news.

Heather said...

Lucie, I'm so glad to hear that you have an appointment to see a surgeon. This is great news. I know surgery won't be fun, but this is very encouraging. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll be thinking of you on July 7th!

Arctic-mermaid said...

A date! Make sure to wear a green banana on your lapel!

It sounds very encouraging to me too. definitely a big check mark on the HOPE side.

Wish I could be there after the surgery to make you laugh and sing, but chances are we would knit like fiends and you'd strain yourself and it would be my fault,... and we'd eat too much cheesecake (is that possible); my fault again... and we'd fall down a lot (giddy with the knit fever) and impale ourselves on the knitting needles.... ahhhhh, you see? it gets ugly. No one wants blood on their knitting needles. So this is why I won't be there in the land of Morris dancers.
but for sure I will be there with you spiritually, supporting you every step of the way. You'll have a whole clutch of us going into the surgery with you My Dear.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

July 7th. Ok! Lucie, it's going to be a crowd! I promise to wear a green banana pin. :)

jenny said...

what great news! with all of your positive energy you are beating this thing. sure love you.

Ev said...

Great news!
So glad the Adenoca is listening to the chemo and radiation!
I hope that your side effects diminish soon and your counts rebound.
Not too long until 7/7.
All the best, Ev from KR