Thursday, June 26, 2008

Minor complications -- don't panic

I waited until today to write so that I could bring you the latest. First of all, I'm feeling, as my grandma used to say, some better. The basins haven't been used for a couple of days and are almost ready to go back to their home under the sink, and I actually stayed awake all day yesterday. So there is definitely progress.
However, on Monday when they did my bloodwork and I saw the oncologist, he said that my liver markers were abnormal, either because of an infection or because the stent in my bile duct has clogged up again. In case it's an infection, he prescribed antibiotics. ($8.50 a pop for 10 days. It better be an infection at that cost.) In case it's a clogged stent, he got in touch with my GI doctor, who set up an ERCP to replace the stent. This will happen on the 3rd, giving me a bit of time to recover before the big Lebanon DH trip.
I've had this procedure twice before, and it isn't a tremendously big deal, though I can think of quite a few things I'd rather be doing. Mostly it means being knocked out for a day and a couple of days of lying around feeling useless.
So that's where things stand at the moment. Meanwhile, we're out of town for the weekend, back to Abbott's Glen, where we already have massages scheduled. It'll be good to get away.

2 comments:

Lucinda Kruy said...

Grr... stupid stent. I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better though. A relaxing weekend away with massages sounds perfect - and well deserved for both of you!

Heather said...

Glad to hear your nausea and extreme fatigue are passing... but I'm sure you're concerned about the "minor complications." Please keep us informed. I love reading your blog... your sense of humor and reflections on life are a gift to all your readers. Hope you have a good, relaxing weekend. Heather