Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A good time/place to be in

No matter what else is going on, I love this time of year. The strawberries are past, but our blueberries are just about to come on; the question is whether the wild turkeys will leave us any. We're eating lettuce, greens, and summer squash from the garden, and keeping watch on the first tomato as it turns orange and then red. It's hot enough for occasional trips to Stone Pond to lie on the beach and swim. Life doesn't get much better than this.
Besides that, physically I feel completely normal. I can eat about anything I want, though not a lot at a time. Seems like I'm always eating. Jerry does his bit, hovering over me like a mama bird and suggesting ice cream at frequent intervals.
The exercise program, which sounds more strenuous than it really is, is going pretty well (reminder to self: next time you plan swimming, check to see if the pool is actually open before you arrive), and I feel less saggy and withered than I did a couple of weeks ago.
And my hair is growing. I can go out in public without a headwrap now, though I think I look like a cross between a Buddhist monk and my bald uncle, though neither of them would wear earrings.
Speaking of Buddhist monks, my mantra these days is a variation of a Thich Nhat Han one: Breathing in, I smile. Breathing out, I am content. Breathing in, I am here and now. Breathing out, it is wonderful.

4 comments:

jenny said...

i love this time of year too. eating in season is wonderful. july/august is always a time to look forward to because of the blueberries. yum. i miss my moms garden this time of year. all of the lovely fresh veggies and tomatoes so sweet you just pick and eat!

amy germer said...

sounds like you are feeling more like your old self. (I didn't mean you were old,I meant the you before all this stuff) Anyway, I glad for it.
I will post lots of pictures.

Arctic-mermaid said...

Me too! I figure the best part of summer is the fresh stuff right out of the garden. Today it was four kinds of lettuces and spinaches, green onions and I pulled and tasted some baby radishes. Fabulous! I am way further north, so tomatoes are a ways off. I have a few flowers on my tomatoes though. If only I could have a bigger garden and feed lots of people.

Severine said...

Hi Lucie!
I heard you were a blogger too! Well, I just got started and it's been more fun than I thought. It's a nice way to keep in touch with fam and friends. Austin has been wanting to say hi to you and Jerry for a while but I'll just take care of business here and do it for both of us. So hi from the Germers down here in Arizona.
If you'd like to see what we're up to, you can check us out at http://lafamillegermer.blogspot.com/. It's mostly in French but I try to translate the posts. Do you speak French? I thought you might but I can't remember.
Anyway, much love to both of you. Love, Severine and Austin