Wednesday, July 30, 2008

First day of prep

Now I really feel that things have started moving (darn it; considering tomorrow, that's not what I mean). But the countdown has definitely started. Today I'm on what Jerry is calling the Trailer Trash diet: no fruit, veggies, or complex carbs, just fish, poultry and eggs, dairy, and white bread and pasta with no tomato sauce. I'm thinking of an aioli to go on the pasta. Garlic isn't a veggie, is it? Tomorrow is clear liquids and the trip to Lebanon.

So here's how I'm visualizing things:
Laydeez and gentlemen, in this corner we have Pancreatic Cancer. Big, mean, nasty, seldom loses a fight. You may think you have it beaten, but it'll pop back up for more. Full of dirty tricks. Its reputation is enough to terrorize the unwary.

In the other corner... Lucie, looking pretty wimpy in comparison.
But that's if you don't look at what she has on her side. I know I've posted lists like this before, but this bears repeating, especially right now.
*Otherwise good health. No problems with diabetes, cholesterol, blood pressure, or anything else I can think of, except for a touch of hypermobility syndrome. Normal weight (haven't gained over the past few weeks, but haven't lost, either) Healthy diet, recent exercise program (back up to 1/2 hour swimming or on the exercise bike). Regular meditation. Basically, I feel as healthy as I have for years.
*Top medical care which I trust. Logistical and financial access, no worries about getting the care. I went through the chemo/radiation, special protocol, with no problems. (Dartmouth-Hitchcock research shows that doing the chemo and radiation before surgery increases chances that the cancer won't come back) Stent inserted and replaced twice without trouble. The surgeon at DHMC has done over 250 Whipples; when we talked with him at the beginning of this month he'd already done 16 this year. (Success of the procedure is directly correlated with number the surgeon has done) A nurse in his OR said he has a reputation for being meticulous and insisting on total competence from everyone in the OR.
*I can never say it too many times. Support from family, friends, people I don't even know but wish I did. Your good wishes, prayers, thoughts. I feel as though I'm going down some scary rapids, but cradled in your hands.
*Jerry, always in a category of his own.
*Attitude. This is a hard one to talk about, because sometimes I feel as though I'm walking a narrow line between Pollyanna/denial and an honest appreciation of all of the above.

When you look at it closely, it doesn't seem like a fair fight, does it? Now imagine Pancreatic Cancer slinking back to its lair, defeated, while we all cheer and John Williams's music rises in the background.

6 comments:

Russ Germer said...

Rita and I are in the corner with you Friday. We hope and pray for you. So get in there and trounce him. (the cancer).

grandma B said...

Add Dick and Lonna in your corner with Russ and Rita and all our posterity! WE will be fasting and praying for you Lucie. Hey, I have never seen anyone with more courage and spunk. You go GIRL! We love you.

amy germer said...

Pollyanna rocks and so do you. We will send good vibe your way on Friday.

Arctic-mermaid said...

Yeah, poor cancer is going down. Big time. He never saw it coming.

A fast. Hmmm. I can do it too. I already go 100 in a 90 speedlimit zone. What's another 10 over the limit??

Ha. Okay. Be tough man. No wavering and no doubts now. You hear? Go in there with your game face on.

Lots of very good wishes Lucie.

Severine said...

You're awesome! Lots of love from Arizona!

jenny said...

lucie, you couldn't look wimpy if you tried. cancer should be scared of you. all of our thoughts and prayers are with you in this. sounds like you've got a stellar team (both the surgery team and your cheerleaders). lots of love.