Monday, July 28, 2008

Great weekend, but back to the real world

In fact, it would be hard to think of a better weekend as we look forward to the next week. We went to our favorite inn in VT, Abbott's Glen: it was peaceful and beautiful, and as usual we were spoiled with delicious food, interesting fellow guests, a great massage, and beautiful weather during the day. Saturday night there was a dramatic thunderstorm which I enjoyed from the comfort of our room, sparing some sympathy for the campers out in the middle of it.
It was a time away from time, but now we're back, and what a moment ago was three weeks is now down to three days. The surgery is on Friday, but Thursday we'll go up to Lebanon in plenty of time for me to do the bowel cleanse (yuck)without having to stop by the side of the highway.
For anyone who doesn't know DH-Lebanon, it's a major teaching hospital connected to Dartmouth College. Here's how it looks from the outside:

From the inside, it looks like a hospital, except that there are several grand pianos scattered around. To Jerry's annoyance they all are locked, but on the other hand, he's going to have plenty of time on Friday. I have faith in him.
I'm busy with my list-making (hand cream, dental floss; check to see if the wifi works on the laptop; borrow the complete Number One Ladies' Detective Agency and the last Harry Potter) and with worrying about Jerry. He asked me rather wistfully if I'd show him how to run the washing machine.
And what will he eat? He's a wonderful cook, but just isn't inspired when he's alone. I guess he could get takeout from the sushi place down the hill, but then I'll worry about his getting scurvy or weird intestinal parasites from all that raw fish.
What it comes down to is that it's easier to worry about him than me.

6 comments:

Janiannie said...

I've read your blog with very much interest for many months now and would really like to send you my heartfelt good wishes for the next phase of your treatment.

I so admire the way you have coped with your condition, your positive attitude and good humour is such an example to anyone in a similar situation.

I will be thinking of you and your lovely husband in the next few days and weeks and send my best wishes to you all the way from the UK

Severine said...

Lucie! I knew you spoke French! It just had to be. Thanks for your comment on my blog:)
We just came back from our annual trip to Utah, it was great to see everybody. All the kid have grown up so much. Russ and Rita have transformed their backyards in this kids' wonderland, it was loads of fun.
We'll pray especially hard for you on Friday. You're definitely in our hearts and prayers. Much love!

Austin said...

Lucy, we just got back from our Germer reunion (as Severine mentioned) and it made me think of past reunions. I remember as a kid there was something great about you. You have a great ability to listen and communicate. It seemed rare that an adult listened to what I said and took interest in what went on in my life. You always made me feel important and loved. I hope we can do the same for you!
I wanted to wish you good luck and tell you that our hearts and prayers are with you. Tell Jerry to bring a lock pick (or a crowbar) and put those pianos to good use! We love you, good luck!

jenny said...

i can't believe the big day is almost here. you have done such an amazing job preparing, mentally and physically. we love you and will be praying for you and your family this friday.

Arctic-mermaid said...

Cheerleader Number Five;
We're all rooting for you and supporting you every step of the way. I'm sure blogging will be the farthest thing from your mind after the surgery, but know that we're here for you. By then there should be a good new crop of lame jokes.

All the very best on Friday. It will be hard to think of anything else.

amy germer said...

Lucie,
We made it back from Utah and as requested posted lots of pictures for you!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love you!