Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jerry

Which is really unfair, because he's been announcing loudly that he wasn't going to have a birthday this year. Too bad, fella. It's worth celebrating.

The best present -- for both of us -- were my latest CA19-9 results. The CA19-9 is a tumor marker. The test measures a certain protein shed by the tumor cells. The lower the number, the less protein is being shed, and the happier the patient.
Well, taDAH, my numbers have continued to go down, from over 300 in September, to 101 in October, to 61 this week.
Dr. Nickerson always reminds me that this marker is merely indicative, but the indications are going in the right direction.

When I looked up the medical literature on the test, I found one article on what it means for someone like me who had non-resectable (i.e. inoperable) cancer. Thanks to a typo in the article, there was a discussion of the problems "evaluating the respectability of pancreatic carcinoma," which made me think of the cancer up on a table with a lampshade on its head doing the hootchy-kootchy.

8 comments:

Severine said...

Yeah that's great!! I like good indicative numbers;) And Happy Birthday Jerry!!

jenny said...

happy birthday jerry! what better present could he ask for than those great numbers (and you of course!) we love you both and hope this was a great day.

Lucinda Kruy said...

Love those low CA19-9 numbers! Definitely a reason to celebrate! Oh, and respect the patient, not the cancer. That's what I always say.

grandma B said...

Happy B-day Jerry ya old man! Hey anybody who looks as good as you do can't complain. Great news about the numbers! Great news about the election! It's GOOD NEWS WEEK! Love you two........give the old man a hug for us Lucie.

Russ Germer said...

Way to go Lucie and Happy Birthday Jerry! I'm glad that you are both enjoying life. That's what it's for!

Blue Spruce said...

"Where we stand is not as important as the direction in which we are moving." (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

A-muse said...

I can't top "blue spruce" for erudite-ness, (great quote!) But, wow, I think this is MAGIC! Lucie---we are THRILLED about your numbers. And, oh yeah, the election, Whoopee!

Arctic-mermaid said...

Still laughing about the vision of the dancing on the tabletop. WOnderful!
And what terrific news. Keep it coming and Happy 7-0 Big Guy