Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Every day in every way.... Catch up on medical stuff

It's always a surprise to discover how long it takes to get back from surgery and a hospital stay. Someone told me once to count on a week's recovery for each day in the hospital, and by that measure I'm doing well. But I have lots of fatigue leading to long naps during the day and over nine hours of sleep at night.
The best thing is that I have only one more day of the Jesus Christ what we eat diet. I've been cheating: garlic has sneaked into the otherwise bland soups, whole wheat bread has taken the place of the white stuff, and I put strawberries in my last smoothie. No problems so far. In fact, my GI tract is behaving beautifully.
We went in to the rheumatologist on Monday even though the worst of the arthritic symptoms had gone, and he basically said that I probably had a virus, and that I was obviously about recovered from it. (I'm not, yet, but it's not as bad as it was.) In any case, he ruled out Fifth Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis, pointing out that it would be really unfair if I'd developed the latter on top of everything else. I'd noticed.
So, like computer viruses, it apparently falls into the category of "they do that." Meanwhile, I take Tylenol as needed.
I'm back on track with the chemo now, and have the feeling that the extra week off was probably good for my system.
So enough of the medical stuff. My big question today is whether, after our saunas, I will actually roll in the fresh snow. And if you think that's a real question, you don't know me as well as you thought you did.

3 comments:

A-muse said...

Funny! Well, I know you pretty well because I did a doubletake on the sauna/snow-rolling thing. In fact, I thought you'd gone 'round the bend!

Just in case that wild and crazy guy you live with tries to persuade you, stay out of the snow today, Lucie, you might end up encased in ice......

Severine said...

Hi Lucie , we love you!!!!!!!!!

Blue Spruce said...

Hi Lucie. I agree that you should stay away from rolls in the icy snow unless you want to meet the abominable snowman. Also, Fifth Disease sounds like something you might get from drinking too much Johnny Walker Red while listening to Beethoven on NPR. People who catch this disease end up sneaking around encased in an architectural column. I saw a case of this once on an old cartoon show.
Be that as it may, your recovery so far has been nothing short of remarkable!