Sunday, September 20, 2009

Friday evening

From the Fire Mutual Aid Log in the Keene Sentinel
Friday, September 18 5:54 p.m. Swanzey Fire Department to 767 West Swanzey Road, motor vehicle crash, two injuries.


All those years I teased my high school students as they prepared for their drivers' tests, "While you're out practicing, just watch out for my car and go up on the sidewalk to avoid it, or you'll get an F in my class." So we got rear-ended by a high school kid with a learner's permit who didn't notice that Jerry had slowed down and turned on his blinker for our turn into the restaurant parking lot. Jerry and I, in the front seats, were fine but shaken, but both of our passengers felt their necks were whiplashed.

It was amazing how quickly the emergency vehicles arrived. As a matter of fact, one of the fire department people told me that he lived a few houses down, heard the crash, and alerted the fire department. In no time, we had two fire trucks, three police cars, and two ambulances flashing lights around us. Everyone was completely professional and sympathetic, checking in at frequent intervals on Barbara, who kept cracking jokes, to their surprise.

The teenager looked shocked, his father as though he might have a few choice words to say to him when they got home. Jerry and I stood there answering questions. I suddenly realized that we were the people by the side of the road that all the cars slowed down to gawk at.

Barbara and Bill were carefully loaded into ambulances for a trip to the ER; our car was towed away; and a police officer gave us a ride home in the patrol car, pointing out that it would be a much pleasanter experience than most people got, since we wouldn't be wearing the handcuffs.

Regrets:
We were in the newer car rather than the older one.
I didn't have my iphone with me, so can't post dramatic pictures.
Our grandson wasn't there to watch all of the emergency vehicles. He'd have loved the sight.
And I feel bad for the poor kid who caused it.

Relief:
Barbara and Bill are okay, with no apparent permanent harm.
We're both fine, as are the people who were in the car that hit us.
The insurance seems to be taking care of getting the car repaired.
I've had new experiences that I never expected to.

1 comment:

Severine said...

So glad everybody was okay. My Dad would say: "teenagers!":)