Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Signs of Fall

I'm not talking about taking down the hummingbird feeder, or the ducks leaving the pond across from the house, or even the first red leaves appearing on a few maples. For us, there are three definite signals that summer is over and we're getting ready for autumn and winter.



We get out the crockpot and start to eat mush for breakfast instead of cold cereal. Jerry puts a secret mixture of various grains (and for all I know, slightly used sawdust) into the pot at night and in the morning we have a hot and stick-to-the-ribs breakfast, at least until the weather warms up again and we switch back to cold cereal.



I get overwhelmed with the worry that we're going to starve during the winter if I don't preserve everything in sight. I want to be sure that we're prepared for anything like last year's great ice storm. Of course, ironically, I was in the hospital for that and wasn't allowed to eat anything, but if it happens again this winter and I'm out and around, we're ready for it. It better happen, too, because otherwise what will we do with approximately 60 jars of jams, jellies, chutney, salsa, sweet and sour sauce, and relish? For two of us. (Pat, I owe you a jar of peach jam in return for those wonderful peaches.)



But the real way you can tell that fall is coming is that Jerry starts a major indoor project. Inspired by Max and Anya's kitchen redo, he started talking last week about what we could do, if we really wanted to, but really, he was just thinking about it and playing around with the idea. Yesterday was the magic day when he came in with the crowbar, so I guess we're committed now.

I love spring and summer best, but fall is good, too.

2 comments:

Russ Germer said...

clean up that mess Jerry and lucie, that fridge has way to many magnets on it. It could fall over any second! Hey, I put up 40 quarts of peaches and 24 pints of peach jam. That little peach tree of ours really comes thru. Glad to hear your both busy.

Unknown said...

I love fall. All that color, and the crisp morning air. Your preserved treasures make me feel like a real slug! Of course, if I made anything sweet, I'd just eat it, and that would not be good! Happy snuggling!