Friday, February 5, 2010

A mundane cold is a nice thing to have, if you stop to think about it.


With all of the ups and downs of chronic cancer (I always wonder, am I feeling low because of the chemo or something worse?) it's actually rather pleasant to just have a normal mundane cold.

Besides, with a cold there's always something you can do for it. As one "cure" after another comes into fashion, Jerry and I tend to just add them on, with the result that today, besides my usual curcumin, vitamins, and other meds I took:
  • vitamin C
  • zinc
  • grapefruit seed oil (yuck)
  • elderberry extract (yum)
  • we're out of echinacea, and besides, maybe I've stopped believing in that one
I used to ask my students what they took for colds. The oddest was a garlic-and-honey tea suggested by a Brazilian student. That's one I think I'll skip. A Japanese student told me that she always had the special garlic soup her grandmother made, and when I pointed out that she could get all the ingredients here, she said, "Yes, I get ingredients, but not grandmother."

Andrea Chessman, in The Roasted Vegetable, suggests a garlic soup, though she doesn't promise it will cure a cold (maybe because it features ten mothers instead of one grandmother). Here's my interpretation:
Ten Mothers (or one grandmother's) Garlic Soup
Cut the top, woody part off 2 heads (not cloves, heads) of garlic, oil them, and wrap them in foil. Roast at 425 for about 45 minutes.
Squeeze the soft pulp into a saucepan, add 5 cups broth, and simmer for a few minutes.
Cut the stems off 4 cups spinach leaves, chop the leaves coarsely, add to the broth, and simmer for a few minutes (but not too long).
Serve hot.

3 comments:

Katie :o) said...

Sounds yummy! One of my kids told me the other day that cinammon and garlic are both anti-virals. For the past couple of years, I have had (LOTS of) cinammon nearly every day on my oatmeal and have missed just about every cold the kids and husband have brought home in that time.... Maybe there's something to the anti-viral thing? Hope you feel better soon! Eat lots of garlic soup! I'm going to miss you guys on Tuesday!!!!!

Mean Mama said...

That *does* sound good! Hopefully it is not restricted to the Kleenex crowd?

Margaret said...

Hi Lucie, I just tried to send you an e-mail, but it was refused twice (!) by the Mailer Daemon, so I decided to leave you a message here.
A blog reader recently suggested that I take a look at IP6 for my father-in-law's melanoma, and sure enough I found a study that sounds promising. My blog reader also sent me this link that I thought you might find interesting: http://www.naturalnews.com/022731_IP6_cancer_pancreatic_cancer.html That was basically the content of my message...
Hope your cold is better! Love that recipe...!
:-)