Saturday, March 21, 2009

Just another week in paradise









We're back, and it was wonderful. No travel problems, and we found ourselves at a great resort. Hidden Beach has only 41 rooms, but it's next door to a sister resort with over 130. Come to think of it, it's rather like living in Marlborough next to Keene -- all the advantages of quiet and privacy, but we had access to the five restaurants at El Dorado Suites besides the very good one at our resort. One of the pictures above shows the view out of our window looking down on ocean and the dining area.
It's good to be pampered. It's especially good to be pampered by people who think that what I'm speaking is really Spanish. One of the waiters assured me that I had "un accento muy fluido", which I hope doesn't mean "very sloppy." Other guests were from Europe, so Jerry carried on a long conversation with a German, in German, which blew me away, since it's been a few years since he's used the language. I was impressed even after he told me that he hadn't been quite sure what they were talking about.
We met fascinating people -- from the Cockney couple with a small ironing business who'd saved up for the trip all year, to the upper manager at Chase Manhattan Bank who complained that he used to make over $1,000,000/year before bonuses of course, and that recently his salary has been cut and he doesn't get the bonuses. His wife was still wearing some rather nice diamonds, though, so I didn't really feel their pain.
I did yoga every day, the effects of which offset some of the delicious meals. And Jerry joined a couple of the daily water volleyball games. The games got wilder as they went along, because of complicated rules that involved downing tequila shots for hitting the ball out of bounds.
The catamaran pictures were from our only offsite trip, a day of snorkeling -- only four couples on a trip designed for 25 or 30 people, so we had plenty of room to spread out and enjoy. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy snorkeling, just lying on the water and watching the panorama spread out below. Then the crew rigged a spinnaker with a swing dangling from it and whoever wanted to sailed up behind the boat. Jerry loved it.
The other pictures? Jerry in one of the robes provided by the resort, just included to prove that lilac isn't his color; me trying to look vampish on the bed in our room, and not trying for any effect in one of the hammocks hanging around.
It couldn't have been a better vacation.
Best of all, it was a vacation from cancer.

7 comments:

Ev said...

Mmmmm, looks delightful!

A-muse said...

Ahhh, Lucie and Jerry---I've been watching for some great pictures and tonight----my patience rewarded! I am so glad that you truly had a vacation.....and nice that the crowds were small.

Arctic-mermaid said...

Fantastic. I'm glad it all was so beautiful and restful. The photos are glorious. Hang on to the feelings and tastes of that trip. At least where I am it is still winter. So thanks for sharing.

grandma B said...

The photos look amazing! It looks like paradise. I have snorkeled once while in Hawaii and felt the same wonder at the display of beauty and color just below the water. You and Jerry look marvelous! You could be be poster models for the place!

Unknown said...

Spectacular! Looks sooooo restful. It's wonderful to be surrounded by such beauty. Did you spend any time reading books? Or just watching the water?

jenny said...

that looks like such a nice vacation. i think most of us would love to be there this time of year. i'm with my mom, you both look marvelous, and happy and full of life. so glad you had such a nice time.

Severine said...

Looks like you had a great time! That's wonderful!