Thursday, April 2, 2009

Feeling better; but you didn't know I was feeling worse

For some reason last week's and this week's chemo has hit me harder than usual. Still not too bad -- a couple of days of flulike symptoms, energy levels that extended as far as lying on the couch watching Harry Potter II, but that's about it. I went to band rehearsal on Tuesday evening, which may have been a mistake, since I spent a lot of it sitting listening rather than playing, and that made me feel as though I were a total wimp.
The rising CA19-9 counts are bothersome, as is the fact that my white blood count was so low on Monday that they didn't give me the full dose of gemcitabine. While I know intellectually that these blips happen, I've had such a free ride until now that I just expected it to continue indefinitely.
However, yesterday we went to the Y and I worked out. In a few minutes I will be off to meet with the Top of the Hill Friends and I'm up to going to yoga tonight -- so I'm back to normal.
Part of me doesn't want to even mention the down times. I don't want to worry anyone with things that are a minor part of this process, and I want to keep my reputation for being upbeat; but I also want to be honest when things aren't going perfectly.
I guess I can have it both ways: I'll write however I feel and you just don't read the less-than-cheerful ones.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Now Lucie, give us some credit. We can understand that there are ups and downs. So just tell us how you feel, and we'll send positive energy to help through the downers, and lots of smiles to support the uppers. Love you!

A-muse said...

Write. I mean, "Right!" I agree with Jan. I won't believe you if you are always "fine." I don't have cancer right now (as far as I know) and I have plenty of times when I feel very low. So don't fool us, or think that we have to be protected. You already came to that conclusion, I know from reading your blog. The "process" of your thinking is very helpful--and real. OXO

grandma B said...

You know the song "That's what friends are for"............well that IS what FRIENDS are for! We love you Lucie----- warts,cancer and all. I am so glad you had a better day. Keep on blogging and clogging!

Blue Spruce said...

A good treatment for warts is to apply lemon juice to the affected area.

Arctic-mermaid said...

Good that you're feeling stronger now. Enjoy the day and don't let anyone hold you back!