Thursday, April 9, 2009

Signs of spring

A good friend, in a similar situation to mine, wrote in her blog that when the first snows fell last winter she was delighted. She hadn't expected to live to see them.

And here I am, watching as the grass greens up. There have been ducks and canada geese on the pond, smells of skunk from our barn, and potholes to complain about.
I bought some of this year's maple syrup from a friend who taps his own trees and boils the sap down himself. The buds are just starting on the trees, but there are crocuses out.

It's a balancing act, loving the moment and not thinking this might be the last time; after all, it's always the last time for any particular moment anyhow. I went through a while, at the beginning of all this, when I got terribly emotional about every colored maple leaf, every snowflake. By this end of winter I've decided there are just too many damned snowflakes to cherish each one. In fact, I'm quite happy to get over winter and on to spring. But I find myself paying attention more to the things I love. And always, the people.

1 comment:

A-muse said...

Lucie, Thank you for writing this. You have said it so well. Appreciate what you have--what you feel and see, One never knows when it will be over, so be thankful for the now.

Having said that, I do detest the summer humidity. Please write about appreciation then. I'll need it.