Friday, September 25, 2009

Why we need a new car



Or do we? Could we get along comfortably with just one car (okay, two if you count the 1976 Plymouth station wagon that we use for going to the dump and getting sheetrock)? But the other real car, which means the one I can drive, is getting old and rusty, and has trouble getting up our hill in the winter. Last December we needed a car that would get us, post ice-storm and nervous, to the ER at 3:30 a.m. It would be nice to assume that we won't have any more emergencies, but who knows?
We loved the KIA, but the body of mine at least seems to have been made of tinfoil, so we're thinking of something a bit more solidly built. Other requirements: small, all-wheel drive, automatic. Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Rob K said...

I've always been a fan of the Subaru Impreza. If you have the money, you could get an Audi. ;)

Luther said...

Reasonably priced small all-wheel-drive would be Subaru.

Pricier, I've had good experience so far with my Volvo, I'd advise against Audi (or similar VW).

From what I've read and based on my experience, front-wheel-drive with snow tires is probably (slightly) better/safer on snowy conditions than AWD without snow tires. AWD with snows is best. So figure the cost of tires into the car (you can bet that the snows from your last car won't quite fit the next one...).

Blue Spruce said...

I had a Subaru once and thought it was a good car. A Forester or Outback would be nice. These days I have a Sonata for normal driving and a Nissan Pathfinder for mud, snow or rutted dirt roads.

HAB said...

I vote Subaru Forester! Ty and I finally had to break down and buy a car and we're loving it. Supposed to be amazing in snow.

Unknown said...

I love my Honda Civic, which has now been through 5 winters here. Of course, I don't drive much if the weather is REALLY bad. The advantage for it is that you cold buy a really old one and the engine probably would still run forever. Good luck!