Friday, April 2, 2010

Summing up


On the way back, we had a couple of days of cool, windy weather, but the sun still felt good.

So how does a vacation from cancer feel? Like a vacation from cancer. It was wonderful to leave it behind for two weeks. I missed a chemo session and (I hope) built up my strength and blood counts. I continued to take curcumin and some of the other meds, but as I looked around the dining room I saw quite a few other people opening pillboxes, so I didn't feel strange.

We didn't talk about my condition, except with friends from other cruises who already knew about it and with a couple who disclosed that she has multiple myeloma. After one conversation trading information and making in-group jokes, we never mentioned it again with them. It was almost like being normal.

Almost, but not quite. I realized that my energy levels aren't what they used to be. I needed as many naps as a two-year-old, and got cranky if I didn't get them. And I gather from Luther and Miriam, who took the previous leg of the cruise, leaving the ship just before we got on, that there was a good band and lots of dancing at night. But we missed it all, Jerry because he doesn't usually enjoy dancing anyhow, and me because I crashed early.

It was refreshing. It was wonderful. It was too short.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, just get as many naps as you need! And enjoy the daffodils! Ours are out here, but we've had 3 or 4 snowstorms in the last 10 days.