Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Holy Monday, Batman, I have stigmata

This side effect surprised even the oncologist. Late last week my back started itching, and when I asked Jerry if there was anything there, he said, "That's funny. You have a rash, but it's sort of a pattern." When I finally got the mirrors to work so that I could see it, I had to agree. The rash definitely wasn't random. It was almost symmetrical and itched its way across my upper back. I looked as though I were playing the lead in a low-budget production of Papillon.
We put ointment on it, but I had worse problems at that point (see yesterday's post), so left it until I went in yesterday for bloodwork. The nurse had never seen anything like it either, so she called in the doctor, who finally decided that when they put the port in they put an adhesive thingie (my term, not his) on my back to get rid of any static electricity. At the end of the procedure they ripped it off, and then the gencitabine the next day made my skin more sensitive and caused the reaction. A stronger ointment has helped, and I'm assured it will get better on its own in any case.
By the way, thanks to all for suggestions on appetite and elimination issues. You're much more helpful than the dietician I spoke with yesterday, though she had a couple of good ideas for upping the protein content of what I eat.

1 comment:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Lucie dearest;
Did the pattern resemble Elvis or the Madonna? Oh, too bad. you could've charged money to see it!

Start slow with the prunes. Honestly. They are THAT good.

So enough with the new medical things okay? Just healing of existing problems. Let's all join hands.....