Thursday, September 25, 2008

Just a bit more politics

First of all, I just wanted to say to anyone who doesn't agree with my very-far-to-the-left political philosophy (hi, Amy) that after living in some of the countries I have, I'm always glad to be in one where we can debate, discuss, and disagree freely.

And in line with that, next week is Read a Banned Book week. Go to the Random House website (randomhouse.com/teens/firstamendment/index , and I'm sorry that I haven't learned how to do these links so that you can just click on them) for a list of books that have been banned. Some are obvious, I guess, but where do they get off on banning How to Eat Fried Worms or The Indian in the Cupboard?
So next week, or every week, make it a point to read a banned book. It doesn't have to be Ulysses. It can be The Da Vinci Code or Snow Falling on Cedars.

Enough of my political ranting. I promise to get back to the fun stuff now. (And while my WBC was so low that I couldn't go to band this week, I continue to feel great.)

3 comments:

jenny said...

how is 'how to eat fried worms' on the banned book list?, seriously, how?
the whole concept of banned books seems a little communist to me.

Severine said...

Where are they banned? In the US? There's definitely books I wouldn't want in my kids' school library but some people take it too far.
As for the elections, I just wish we could tell who is the most honest. I cannot believe the level of corruption and the influence of special interests groups. Are politicians just puppets easily manipulated? I'm just sick about the whole meltdown thing.
Anyway, I'm counting my blessings and one of them is having you, so I'm not the only non-Republican Germer:)

amy germer said...

Why would "How To Eat Fried Worms" be banned? I read that book and i can't remember any scandalous thing in there.