Wednesday, October 15, 2008

And then a scare....

I thought I'd spend this morning finishing cleaning up for brother-in-law Russ and sister-in-law Rita's visit this afternoon; but we ended up at the hospital. After an examination, a CAT scan, and a follow-up with the oncologist, I can say that I'm in good shape.
If you discount the stomach pain and nausea.

Those started last night, and in my confused state I got it in my head that I couldn't take both anti-nausea and anti-pain meds at the same time. Midmorning, Jerry called the doctor; luckily there was a cancellation, and even more luckily there was a cancellation in Radiology, so I was able to get in this morning.
Results? The CAT scan shows no change since June. This is very good news.
My CA19-9 numbers, whatever they are, are down to 101. Yours are probably about 37, but the numbers can go up into the thousands. The lower, the better, and mine have gone down since I went back on the chemo. Also very good news.

So what's going on? I always say that if something goes wrong with your computer, the first thing the expert will say is (accusingly), "What did you do?" and the second is (resignedly) "They do that." My stomach pain/nausea is apparently a "They do that." Maybe some of the nerves in the area are affected, or maybe it's something else. What it isn't, directly, is the cancer, and it was worth spending the morning at My Favorite Place in the Whole World to find that out.
Recommendations? Take your meds, all your meds, and don't wait until you feel really crappy to do so. Yes, doctor.

And by the way, what I kept thinking was, thank heavens that Russ and Rita are coming. If it had been something bad, we would have needed their support, but now we can celebrate (except that the anti-nausea med makes me groggy, so they'll get to see what I look like bombed).

4 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

aw Shucks, I wanna see you bombed too. Although the first time we meet it should be a proper and sober, don't you think?

hope the butterflies in there escape soon. Sleep with your mouth open, just to make it easier for them. Okay? Love ya

jenny said...

i'm so glad you're ok. that is a scare. i'm also glad that your CAT scan looked so good. very positive news. hope you have a nice time with russ and rita. oh, and your knitting projects are beautiful-i am totally impressed!

GermersinGrace said...

I have another friend with cancer and we never talk about these things. You're very informative and it helps us understand. We're all rooting for you. And say hi to our folks for us. Thanks

Severine said...

Hope you're having a great time with Russ and Rita. Love ya!