Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"I'm praying for you."

I'm not exactly an expert on prayer, both from early conditioning and from later philosophy. But these days I get prayed for a lot, and I like it.

I spent a bit of time this morning doing what anyone with a question does these days -- googling. It turns out that among the different types of prayer there are "undirected" -- Thy will be done -- and "intercessory," in which the prayer intercedes with God for the prayee. (And I can't help pointing out that if you can say "intercessory" three times fast, it's yours.)

Quakers aren't big on intercessory prayer. The closest we come is "holding people in the Light." When I was a child, I had a beautiful image of the afflicted person beamed in a golden spotlight, surrounded by the lights of those who loved him. But then, once in First Day School (like Sunday School) a discussion about praying for people left me confused. Did the number of people praying for you make a difference? So if you had more friends and people to pray for you, you'd be better off? (Then why do Popes and Presidents of the Church die?) Or was it important to get the spiritual heavyweights on your side? James (5:14-16) seems to agree with that: The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. But then, what about people who weren't spiritually righteous, but who were fervent in their belief? Wouldn't their prayers outweigh those of someone who was righteous but disinterested? It began to sound like a cosmic poker game in which, if you want results you need to work to improve your hand.

It's really the question of results that seems to me more important. James says in the same passage that the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. But there is the undeniable fact that millions of people are prayed for and still die. I come back to a safer and more realistic prayer: to continue feeling as well as possible for as long as possible. To have the strength to bear it all.

However, I have at least as many agnostic and atheist friends as I do believers. The non-religious tend to say, "I wish I were a believer, because I'd be praying for you," or "I'm sprinkling pixie dust all over you." "You know I wish you well." "You're in my thoughts."

And that, at least for the moment, is what is so important to me, not the form of the thoughts, how they're directed, or how the person visualizes the Recipient. It is that, however they imagine it, believers and non-believers alike are holding me in the Light. And that is precious to me.

4 comments:

Arctic-mermaid said...

Dear Lucie -

kisses, prayers, best thoughts
always

jenny said...

i really liked that post. it is interesting to think about what we do so often. it is powerful when people send prayers, thoughts, and well wishes your way. i believe in it's results whole-heartedly. love you lucie. and, our prayers are always with you and jerry.

A-muse said...

HI Lucie,

Just have to see that you are so intelligent in the best sense of the word--I loved reading this. The thoughtfulness and depth of your ruminations on how we show our love to each other expressed so succinctly. There are lessons here that comfort me very much. Not just for how you are holding up, but also for being optimistic in general. For standing in the light. I think of fin ding the light--looking for it--knowing what it feels like. I thoguth of the kids I work with and how much they need optimism. I think I will start using this light thing as a visualization for them. It is so important when you are a child to think of the future with a golden glow. During my many working years, I have met too many children who dread living the rest of their lives. Our society does not take care of its children as much as it likes to think that it does. The children we see today become the parents of tomorrow. (Just a little political proslytizing that I know you won't mind.) Love you and that man of yours, Adrienne

Heather said...

I loved this post. Thanks, Lucie.