Monday, August 17, 2009

Alternatives and complements

Melody's comments meant a lot to me. I certainly wish her husband's uncle the best as he and the family struggle with this.
I was also interested in her suggestion for other treatment, which I'll definitely look into, but it got me thinking about the various kinds of complementary treatments I've tried over the years through both bouts of cancer.
I do not do alternative treatments, but I am interested to try most complementary types. "Alternative" generally means something in place of standard treatments, and I have no doubts that surgery/chemotherapy/radiation is the best way to go, so far, for cancer treatment. "Complementary" just adds something to the standard stuff -- in my mind a complementary treatment probably hasn't been thoroughly studied because it won't bring in any money to the health-care industry.
That doesn't mean that there aren't things we can do to back up the usual treatments. Here are what I've tried:
-- supplements, some of which, like fish oil for appetite, are recommended. Some, like curcumin, though they're considered a bit weird, are actually being studied at well-respected cancer centers. Others, like Black Seed Oil, have only anecdotal evidence to back them up.
-- body work. I've been reiki-ed and massaged (I prefer the latter). I do yoga, but since I have for 35 years I can't really count it as a complementary therapy for cancer.
-- the same with meditation.
-- I've been rolled with magnets.
-- I've used mushrooms: Reishi, in the form of capsules which a Thai friend gave me, Shitaki from the supermarket, and Hen of the Woods, from the woods. I also eat Trumpets of Doom, not because anyone says they're good for cancer, but because they taste good and the name is cool.
I don't do coffee enemas or anything else gross.
If you hear of any other complementary therapy, especially if it's cheap and sounds like fun, let me know.

2 comments:

Uncle Jerry said...

What Lucie forgot to mention is that she follows what is reputed to be an anti-cancer diet, consiting of lots of anti-oxident foods (berries, green tea, pomegranite juice), foods low in saturated fats but hight in omega 3, (fatty fish, flax seed). Minimum sugar, lots of whole grain foods. Let's see, what else? Oh yeah. She always takes the first sip of my beer, which has to count for something.

Rob K said...

Acccording to the NCI, red wine might help.