Thursday, August 13, 2009

Not totally great news -- CA19-9 is up

It could be a lot worse.

My CA19-9 tumor marker is up to 180; last month it was 85, the month before 83. Dr. Nickerson wants me to have another CAT scan at the beginning of September to try and get some idea of what's going on. Obviously, I'm not happy about this.

For a while the numbers were down to the low 30's, ie normal. The highest was at the beginning of all this, when it got up to about 350. The range is from 0, which is unusual, to somewhere in the thousands, depending on the particular test. One statistic that I read was that 65% of the patients in a particular study had levels above 200. I haven't been able to find out just how high it can go, but it's clear that even my earlier 350 was fairly low. 180 is minimal -- except that it's the direction and the rate of change that are the true markers.

However, the CA19-9 doesn't even tell exactly what is going on. It can be knocked higher by infections or another disease, and some people don't even show any results at all. This is part of the reason it can't be used as a test for pancreatic cancer. The other is that if you're one of the people who does show the marker, and if you don't have any other condition, the CA19-9 only starts to rise when the cancer is advanced. We still need a simple blood test that will a)show whether a particular person has even the early stages of pancreatic cancer and b)accurately track what's happening once a diagnosis has been made.

I've had a couple of things going on that might be reasons for the marker numbers to rise. Inflammation from the ulcer could have affected it, and my off-and-on chemo sessions of the past few weeks might have messed things up. I avoid thinking about the alternative, though of course it's in the back of my mind.

Meanwhile, I feel very well. Chemo Monday didn't give me any side effects to speak of, my weight is stable, my appetite and ability to enjoy food are unchanged, and (except for the damned marker) life is good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have to say I have found inspiration in your comments since finding out my husband's 83 yr old uncle was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this past Dec 08 with an inoperable tumor. He did chemo and radiation but no change. He looked and felt horrible. However, he has responded very well to a homeopathic method of treatment with Dr David Olarsch of Plymouth NH. http://www.naturopathichealth.net/
In fact the tumor has shrunk. I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of this method and all the supplements he has to take, but he is looking and feeling very well. He has even gained weight! You don't know me, and I don't mean to put my nose in where it doesn't belong. Just thought I would share that info with you, since unknowingly you have shared much hope and inspiration to me. I love the artistic nature of your family and appreciate you sharing it with others. Wishing you well. ~Melody~