Thursday, August 20, 2009

My teeth are clean



However, getting your teeth cleaned when you're on chemo isn't as simple as making the appointment and then dragging yourself in to see the dental hygienist. First you have to make sure that it's safe.
It all comes back to blood counts. A side effect of Gemcitabine is lowered red and white blood counts. The former could lead to increased bleeding and the latter to a chance of infection, so before any dental work I have to get my blood drawn and tested.
I had my regular chemo session on Tuesday so I went in early to get the blood work for both that and the teeth cleaning.
Unfortunately, my levels were low. I protested that I was willing to take the chance, that the levels weren't really that low, that my gums don't usually bleed, and that it's hard to reschedule an appointment at the dentist. The nurses insisted on calling the oncologist, who eventually decided that I could go ahead with both the cleaning and the afternoon's chemo.
My teeth are in good shape.

2 comments:

Severine said...

I love the feeling of clean teeth:)
We're thinking of you, even in the midst of our crazy life.

Blue Spruce said...

In Vermont where I live, the main dental hygiene problem that people face is keeping the hayseeds from getting caught between their teeth.