Saturday, August 1, 2009

Vacation from cancer

Any time we get away it's a vacation from cancer. If it had turned out that I couldn't get along with my in-laws, or that Jerry was allergic to hot, dry weather (you can see I'm stretching for the impossible in both cases) it still would have been worth going, just to be away from this reality for a bit.

Don't get me wrong. The nurses and staff at the Kingsbury Cancer Center are warm, professional, and fun to hang out with, but that doesn't change the fact that they are punching holes in people in order to fill the people with poisonous substances that make them feel worse than the disease does. Jerry does his best to make the chemo sessions as tolerable as possible. (Sometimes I even win the Scrabble game, with the nurses and some of my fellow patients cheering me on. Jerry feels like The Viper in a World Wrestling Entertainment match, except that nothing about our Scrabble games is staged.)

But the fact remains that we know the next day I'll feel exhausted and generally low, and that the cancer is still there, lurking.

I bless my sister-in-law for saying at the end of the Utah visit, "None of us wanted to talk about the elephant in the living room, but you know we love and pray for you." I bless everyone for giving us this extra vacation from thinking about it.

It's given us both renewed strength to go on dealing with the cancer.

1 comment:

Severine said...

What a great time we had seeing you and all the family!!! You're really wonderful. The only regret is that we can't see you more often. Love you.