Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Rainy Day Musings

Jerry again. Be patient, Lucie is getting better each day and may be sprung from the hospital tomorrow, we hope. She is now freed of tubes and is starting to eat--clear liquids, if you can call that eating. And instant coffee and Jello, at that. Yechh.
Having had a commute to my work of about ten feet for the past 18 years (the distance from the bedroom to my studio), I have now been ----into the world of long commutes, with daily trips between our home in Southwestern New Hampshire and the hospital in Lebanon, NH, about 75 miles. Fortunately, most of it is along I91, a very scenic drive north through Vermont, with the Connecticut River to my right and the Green Mountains on the left. Actually, they are very green--made even more so this summer because of the persistent rains--but more like green hills to this Utah-born boy.
Even surrounded by this beauty (I think occasionally of the poor dudes whose commutes are mostly through urban traffic logjams), the first few trips seemed long. But they seem shorter each time now. I think your mind goes into another gear or something. I listen to Vermont Public Radio's classical music station most of the time, except when I'm in peril of dozing off, then I turn to NPR for the latest world news, always guaranteed to wake me up.
When I talked with Lucie by phone this morning, she said I wouldn't need to come up today, it being very rainy and all. I said I would come, as staying home wouldn't affect the rains. Besides, I can look forward to getting hot in the sauna and cooling off in the rain when I get back this afternoon.

4 comments:

Brooke Medlin said...

I'm glad she's doing better each day, as you said. Glad for the update, and thinking of all of you.

Severine said...

Thanks for the updates Jerry. I always relay the information to Austin. We've been thinking of both of you and been praying for you. Glad to hear that Lucie will get out of the hospital soon. Give her our love,
Severine and Austin

jenny said...

that would be great if lucie gets to come home tomorrow. i'm sure she would rather be home and it would omit the long drives for you, although they do sound beautiful. lots of love to both of you.

Jack Timmons said...

Thanks for keeping us updated Jerry. Will you post as soon as you know if she does get out today?
Is Lucie up for visitors?
Meredith and I are thinking about you both.