Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Green Bananas, the book

It's no surprise to anyone who knows me that I'm writing a book. I'm always writing a book (though almost never finishing one). Over the years, I've tried SF a couple of times, mysteries ditto, at least one gawdawful romance, and three non-fiction, the only ones that got published.

So it seems a natural progression to use my experiences over the past year as the basis for a book on what it's like to have pancreatic cancer. (You can tell already that it's a real upper.) I don't see it as following chronological order, because, so far at least, there's been no real story: no building up of tension to an exciting climax. Thank heavens.

It's been more like what the flight attendant tells you as the plane gets ready to take off. In case of a change of pressure, air masks will drop down from the overhead compartment. Put yours on and breathe normally. It's been a year of trying to breathe normally, which doesn't make for a lot of dramatic tension. On the other hand, I've had amusing, touching, annoying, and scary experiences, all seen through the lens of the cancer.

I enjoy writing about them in the blog, and now I'm enjoying expanding what I think are some of the best into a series of short essays, a combination of memoir, how-to, and meditations.

There might even be an audience out there. If it's true that one person out of four is touched by cancer, maybe a quarter of the population would buy the book? Even more, because with luck they'd all buy it for each other. When I sell the movie rights can I insist that Meryl Streep plays me? But I'm getting ahead of myself.

It would help me a lot to know what sort of subjects you'd like to see in such a book. Are there blog entries that stuck in your mind? (Please say yes.) Are there things I haven't touched on that you've wondered about? Have I said things you totally disagree with?

I promise to put your name in the acknowledgments -- or, if you prefer, I promise never to tell anyone.

5 comments:

Severine said...

Lucie,
I'm sure you've seen this but I thought I'd share it anyway. Hope you're well!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29108273/

Severine

grandma B said...

Lucie the book seems like a natural step after enjoying your interesting and insightful entries on your blog. Go for it girl! You have been given a gift for expressing yourself and your insights help us all. when do you leave on your get-a-way?

Arctic-mermaid said...

Excellent. I agree this is a great idea. You're a very good writer and can get to the crux of a thought so nicely. All the best with it.

Will think on the question you've posed about best topics. They've all been good and I really enjoy coming here to see what's new.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure my thoughts are relevant--I've known you so long, and I knew your parents, and Jerry and the kids. The items that are particularly memorable for me are those about not wanting to talk about cancer all the time--how the rest of us should talk to someone with cancer. How it feels to find your life being cut shorter than you ever expected. How your kids are dealing with this knowledge. It must be very difficult for Cinda, since she's so far away. You may feel that writing about them is invading their privacy, but it would be enlightening to those havingto face telling their families something similar.

Heather said...

Can I have a signed copy of the book? I will think about your query and get back to you. By the way, have you read "Crazy Sexy Cancer"? It's a pretty creative take on cancer... might interest you. Just read a review of it in Psychology Today. It's at www.psychologytoday.com under the headline "Happiness Makeovers."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20090115-000002.html