Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Weight, weight, don't tell me

I recently wrote a piece for the cancer book I'm working on about what losing weight means to a cancer patient and how frustrating it is to be unintentionally skinny in American culture. Because of this, I've been more conscious than usual of my own weight, and I got rather nervous when I suddenly seemed to be losing. Down a pound. Up half a pound. Down two. And then, yesterday, I was down three and a half in one day, after a weekend of eating very well.
This couldn't be. I spent some time worrying, then decided that even cancer couldn't do that to me; if it could, someone would figure out a way to bottle it and sell it over the internet. Can you imagine the advertising?
I got Jerry to try the scales, and he'd lost, too.
Light finally dawned. I bought a new battery for the scale, and lo and behold! today my weight is back to normal.
Not all problems are major. Or even problems.

6 comments:

Ev said...

Glad to hear it was the equipment and not the operator!

Russ Germer said...

We hope the battery in our scale goes down. Rita would love it!

jenny said...

russ, that cracked me up. it's true, we are a weight obsessed culture. most women, including me, would love to lose a few pounds.

A-muse said...

Lucie--That is funny! Who would have thought it? I thought Jerry's weight loss might have been "sympathy slimming." Next time you think the battery is running low, give me a call so I cn check my weight.

P.S. Very good point about not all problems being problems.

amy germer said...

You mean all I have to do to lose weight is have bad batteries in my scale! I can't wait to try that diet!

Mean Mama said...

Whew! dodged that bullet, didn't you!