Friday, February 27, 2009

I've complained about this before....

... but really, can't writers think of another way to kill off their characters? In the past week, I've read books in which three characters died of cancer (two breasts and a brain) and seen movies or TV shows in which two more did (another brain and a pancreas). Yes, cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US, after heart attacks, but it's interesting that lung cancer leads in deaths, and you almost never read about a character dying of that. While breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women, an awful lot of women survive it. Not in books, though -- no one beats it. It's a chance to get rid of interesting secondary characters who might otherwise take over the story.
The second leading cause of cancer death for men is prostate, but when is the last time you read of a character dying of it? No, brain cancer is the preferred killer, even though chances of getting it are actually small.
We have a tradition when we watch a show on TV. As soon as the doctor bows his head slightly and says, "I'm sorry, Mrs. Jones.... It's cancer," we laugh maniacally and throw popcorn at the screen. It helps.

3 comments:

Blue Spruce said...

When I was a little lad, the TV shows I watched often had people die in crashes when their car went off a cliff. I heard people talk about how seat belts might save lives and I thought it was an absurd idea, because there would be no time to unhook the seat belt and leap out of the car before it goes over a cliff.
Starting around 1972, I began reading a lot of travel and exploration, which is my favorite genre. If you would judge by that, the leading causes of death are: (a) falling off a cliff (b) getting caught in an avalanche (c) being attacked by bandits (d)malaria or
dysentery (e) starvation and hypothermia, and (f)(my favorite) disappearing mysteriously without a trace. (as happened to Col. Fawcett who was one of the inspirations for Indiana Jones) (When he was exploring the Amazon on an early expedition he discovered the anaconda and two-snouted dogs. People ridiculed and disbelieved him, but both discoveries have since been well documented.)(I think Col. Fawcett was also the inspiration for Mad Magazine's recurring references to Col Furd.)

A-muse said...

Lucie--I am sad to think of a pile of harsh hats for persons undergoing cancer treatment. I love beautiful, soft yarns and cherish the items that have ben made for me of the years by our mutual friend, KGB. (ponder that one, Blue Spruce).

Anyway, let me know of any opportunites to buy decent yarns for this purpose. I want to contribute!

Unknown said...

Well, actually, a good friend died 2 years ago of a brain tumor--worked for the forest Service, spent his life mostly outdoors, and I don't think had been sick a day in his life the entire 25 years I knew him. The lived in Ogden and he'd call and say, "We're having a party Sat night, so bring your jammies and toothbrush--you don't want to drive home late at night." His widow moved to Portland and now comes down for our quilting adventures. Actually, my pet peeve is the main characters who have no families because their parents died in a car crash--no need to deal with all the families.