Monday, February 1, 2010

If it's Monday it must be chemo

I think one of the hardest things to get used to in all this is the schizophrenic split between regular life and cancer life. For example, we had a busy weekend, with dinner out with friends on Friday, Miles's fifth birthday party on Saturday, Yoga Day in Keene on Sunday (yoga class, massage, henna tattoo, good friends), and dinner for Jerry's woodwind quintet in the evening, the kind of wonderful but not unusual things we have always done on weekends (and I never described the great trip to Boston last weekend to visit with Luther and Miriam, brother and sister-in-law, and go to a Luciana Souza concert). But this afternoon Jerry and I will pack up knitting and the Scrabble game and go in for chemo, and we plan for my not doing much tomorrow and not feeling really up to par until Wednesday evening.

Which is normal life?

3 comments:

Blue Spruce said...

Lucie, in response to your item about eating pancreas, I would say that people have been known to eat all sorts of parts of domestic animals, e.g. haggis. However, I recently read a book where arctic explorers at the turn of the century found that eating polar bear liver was poisonous. This was due to large amounts of a vitamin, I think vitamin A, which humans could not handle.
With regard to your statement about which is normal, I tend to think that normal involves summer, light, happiness, and abnormal involves winter, darkness, unhappiness, and illness, and I suspect that this is an innate prejudice we all have, except maybe the Gnostics.

Anonymous said...

"Normal" is when I am the winner at Scrabble.

Katie :o) said...

Hey, Lucie! Normal is the bright, witty, fun person that you are! Unfortunate is the medical stuff you have to go through to help keep you that way....