Thursday, August 28, 2008

Back to the medical establishment, again

Now, that is a really unfair title. Before you start thinking of horrible emergencies, I'd better say that we've had three appointments in the last two days, but they were all "normal" -- the kind of upkeep that everyone has. Jerry, complaining every step of the way, went in for tooth cleaning and checkup, and I had my eyes checked and saw the orthopedic doctor about my ankle and brace. It's a relief to do this kind of thing instead of all the major, scary, and/or painful stuff that the medical establishment usually makes me think of. At this rate, I'll even be looking forward to my Pap smear.

Jerry's teeth, as always, are fine. My eyes are aging and my prescription has changed, and the brace, after yet another adjustment, is slightly more comfortable than it was. The orthopedist promised to make it work. I hope.

I had a kind of green banana moment, though, as I tried on frames while I waited to see if the optometrists could fit the new lenses into my old frames.(By the way, did you know you can again get cats-eye frames with diamonds on the corners? They were tempting. My mom wouldn't let me get those for my first pair of glasses, and here, finally, was my chance. I tried them on, but unfortunately my mom was right. Really ugly on me.)

However, here was my predicament. Frames now cost from $150-$400. Considering everything, how much would I pay for new frames? Suppose they were really gorgeous (not the cats-eyes)? What if they came with a life-time guarantee?

Luckily, I can get the new prescription in my old frames, so I don't have to worry about it. And in any case and no matter what my situation, I can't imagine spending top dollar on eyeglass frames.

Unless they had real diamonds.

2 comments:

jenny said...

glasses are a true money making scheme. we were looking for new frames for jeremy just this past saturday and couldn't believe how expensive they were, and that was for the ones on the "unbeatable sale." i swear the prices have doubled since we bought his last pair of frames. so, we left without making a purchase and jeremy is still wearing his old, beat up glasses.

oh, and i hope you never have to look forward to a pap. those are just horrible. i think all of the instruments used had to have been designed by a man who wanted to torture women. cold, hard metal? torture really. i thought it would be better after having a baby, not so. still horrible!

Severine said...

Hi Lucie, how are you? I remember, I got my first glasses when I was about 13. They were huge and burgundy, you gotta love the 80's.
Last October, Austin got some new glasses. When we went to the ward's Halloween party a week later, my friend asked him "Are you dressed up as a nerd?" (she was serious). I still laugh about it. Oh, and he still wears them everyday and he's very handsome:)
Love to you and Jerry.