Monday, January 4, 2010

Funny Movies -- Your Favorites?

I'm heading out this afternoon for the first chemo of the new year (yippie). Jerry and I have a tradition of watching funny movies on chemo day or chemofunk day -- for a couple of hours I forget the physical effects of the chemo, all those endorphins do their thing in my brain and I feel better psychically as well as physically.

We love the Marx Brothers, Mel Brooks, Peter Sellers, and other not-so-subtle performers and films, but not all of them. Don't Mess With the Zohan was a yes; Tropic Thunder a no. Monty Python, mostly a yes.

We do watch more nuanced films. Almost everything by Christopher Guest is a yes, for example.

So what are your favorite laugh-out-loud or at least giggle-at funny movies? What are we missing?

6 comments:

Katie :o) said...

Hey, Lucie! Our favorite is "Its a Boy Girl Thing". You have to be at least highschool age to watch it, though. My kids aren't sure I qualify.... We love Monty Python! We love, love, love "13 Going on 30", too! More of a chick-flick than a comedy, but a very feel-good movie. Jerry will hate it. (Don does) Looking forward to next Tuesday. I heard from Kevin. He just happens to have the night off! He is usually busy on Tuesdays :o) See you the 12th! Katie

Katie :o) said...

Hey, Lucie! Our favorite is "Its a Boy Girl Thing". You have to be at least highschool age to watch it though. My kids aren't sure I qualify.... We love Monte Python. Another favorite is "13 Going On 30". More of a chick-flick than a comedy. But a very feel-good movie. Jerry will hate it. (Don does) Looking forward to seeing you next Tuesday! I heard from Kevin. He "just happens to have that Tuesday off" :o) See you soon!

Katie :o) said...

Oooops... I thought the computer ate my first comment, so I re-typed it. And re-entered it. And now I see the little green message saying it doesn't get posted until you read it. So computer not-savey I am....

Severine said...

I would recommend the french movie "Bienvenue chez les ch'tis" if you can find it. It's hilarious!

Blue Spruce said...

My list of the funniest movies I've seen is as follows.
1. A Night at the Opera (Marx Bros)
2. Monte Python and the Holy Grail
3. It's a Mad Mad Mad World
4. Silent Movie (Mel Brooks)
5. It's a Gift (WC Fields)
6. Animal House (John Belushi)
7. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way
to the Forum (Zero Mostel)

HAB said...

Anything with Bill Murray usually makes me laugh. Groundhog Day is a classic.

Also, all movies by the Cohen Brothers and Wes Anderson make the Brown's laugh. Favs include Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Rushmore.