Friday, January 29, 2010

Why should I be the only one grossed out?

I'm working on a chapter for my book in which I (finally) get around to describing the pancreas, and the best short description I found is the following:

The pancreas is the rather large, loosely made, lobulated organ that lies in the mesentery. or supporting membrane of the small intestine. It secretes pancreatine into the intestine, which helps to digest fat. The pancreas also contains the "islands" of cells that produce the hormone insulin. It is good to eat, but is considerably less delicate in flavor than sweetbreads....

Okay, it isn't out of a medical textbook. It's from Calvin Schwabe's Unmentionable Cuisine (University Press of Virginia, 1979), describing beef pancreas. He goes on to offer the following recipe (slightly modified)

Heat 1/2 c of fat until smoking, brown a cut-up oxtail and two pairs of veal sweetbreads. Reduce the heat and cook gently for about 45 minutes. Add some cut-up breast of veal and a generous quantity of sliced onions. Cook another half hour. Add a cut-up beef kidney, 1 1/2 c strong beer and a bouquet garni. Simmer for 30 minutes, add a beef pancreas cut in pieces and another bottle of strong beer and some mushrooms. Simmer until the pancreas is done. Thicken if desired.

Do tell me if you try this recipe. I plan to skip everything except the beer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would add a bit of dry red wine.

Anonymous said...

Or become vegetarian . . .

Katie :o) said...

I can barely wait for the book! But I might skip the recipe section...