Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti

As the news about the earthquake in Haiti and its results keeps coming in, I think of Regine from Port-au-Prince, who was my student a few years ago. She was sixteen and spoke no English at all. Already tall and elegant, she stood out at Keene High School like a peacock among barnyard fowl, and I think her first two years were extremely difficult. She worked hard, learned English, made friends, graduated, and went on to college to pursue a nursing degree. I was very proud of her.

I recently reconnected with her on Facebook. She continues to do well.

Her latest post was a request for our prayers. She still has not heard from her sister in Haiti and doesn't know who in her family is alive or uninjured.

As you think about the many thousands of people affected by the tragedy, please keep Regine and her loved ones in mind. It's easy for something like this to turn into just statistics and for us to lose the human faces in the devastation.

No comments: